Satanism (the basics)
Satanism has often been mistaken for "Devil worship" and "animal sacrificing" or, just plan Paganism. It began getting popular in the 60's when Anton Szandor LaVey founded the Church of Satan and wrote a collection of books on the religion of Satanism, the most famous one being, The Satanic Bible. Others include, The Devil's Notebook, The Satanic Witch, Satan Speaks, and The Satanic Rituals: Companion to "The Satanic Bible". It is based on science and psycology , not myth or legend
It has been the source of hatred in the music business, creating things such as black metal, gothic, industrial and things like that. Though, the Gothic-Rock band, Cradle of Filth uses talk of Satan, people often think they are satanists, I just need to make the record show that Satanism has nothing to with the devil, or lucifer. In fact, they see Satan as a symbol (see 9 Satanic Statements below), if you hear a satanist say something like "Hail Satan" that doesn't mean he/she is praising Lucifer, Satanists see themselves as gods, so, in that case, meaning they are God and Satan(lucifer). That means we can either choose to be good, follow the rules and be a conformist member of society(God), or we can be who we really are and be bad if we feel like it, get loose, have parties and, since life's short, have fun with it all(Satan). Since I am infact a Satanist, I dont mean this to sound like a "Haha in you're face" thing, saying things such as "Satan is better than God" and frankly, I really do not what you to think that's what im getting at. This is simply to inform.[/color][/font]
Satanists do not believe in God, nor Devil, no Heaven, nor Hell. They do not focus on the way we were created, more, on their specific roll on the earth. They believe they are their own god, thus they control their own actions. They believe, if it feels good, do it. "If you're doing something naughty, you realize it, and enjoy that you're doing something naughty" - Peter H. Gilmore (high priest of The Church of Satan". That does not mean they go loose on society killing, and raping people, they have laws/rules they must follow, they are stated in Anton's books, though, so you wont have to worry about looking that up, ill give them to you:
The Nine Satanic Statements
1. Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipedreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development" has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend of the church as he has kept it in business all of these years!
The Nine Satanic Sins
1) Stupidity -- The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid.
2) Preteniousness -- Empty posturing can be most irritating and isn't applying the cardinal rules of Lesser Magic. On equal footing with stupidity for what keeps the money in circulation these days. Everyone's made to feel like a big shot, whether they can come up with the goods or not.
3) Solipsism -- Solipsism can be very dangerous for Satanists. Projecting your reactions, responses, and sensibilities onto someone else who is probably far less attuned that you are. It is the mistake of expecting people to give you the same consideration, courtesy, and respect that you naturally give them. They won't. Instead Satanists must strive to apply the dictum of "Do unto others as they do
onto you." It's work for most of us and requires constant vigilance lest you slip into a comfortable illusion of everyone being like you. As has been said, certain utopias would be ideal in a nation of philosophers, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, from a Machiavellian viewpoint) we are from that point.
4) Self-Deciet -- It's in the Nine Satanic Statement but deserves to be repeated here. Another cardinal sin. We must not pay homage to any of the sacred cows presented to us, including the roles we are expected to play ourselves. The only time self-deceit should be entered is when it is fun, and with awareness. But then, it's not self-deciet!
5) Herd Conformity -- That's obvious from a Satanic stance. It's all right to conform to a person's wishes, if it ultimately benefits you. But only fools follow along with the herd, letting an impersonal entity dictate to you. The key is to choose a master wisely instead of being enslaved by the whims of many.
6) Lack of Perspective -- Again, this one can lead to alot of pain for a Satanist. You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, everyday. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit the things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. So not be swayed herd constraints--know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world.
7) Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies -- Be aware that this one of the keys to brainwashing people into accepting something as "new" and "different", when in reality it's something that was once widely accepted but is now presented in a new package. We are expected to rave about the genius of the "creator" and forget the original. This makes for a disposable society.
8) Conterproductive Pride -- The first word is important. Pride is great up to the point you begin to throw out the baby with the bathwater. The rule of Satanism is if it works for you, great. When it stops working for you, when you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to say, "I'm sorry, I made a mistake, I wish we could compromise somehow," then do it
9) Lack of Aesthetics -- This is the physical application of the Balance Factor. It is important in Lesser Magic and should be cultivated. It is obvious that no one can collect any money off it most of the tome so it si discouraged in a consumer society, but is an essential Satanic tool and must be applied for magical effectiveness. It's not what's supposed to be pleasing--it's what is. Aesthetics is a highly personal thing, reflective of one's own nature, but there are universally pleasing and harmonious configurations that should not be denied.
The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
Note: This is what they call "LaVeyan Satanism"