PDA

View Full Version : getting a new garden ready

Harlock
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I am moving here soon and i plan to finally make my damn garden, in the back there is nothing but sand, I live in california, where temps range from 30s all the way into the hundreds but as far the coming summer goes 80s if were lucky, but usually 95+ i dont mind physical labor, i just want to get my damn garden ready, even if i have to wait till spring to use it.

VIRAL
05-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Go on to Ebay and get those giant turkish poppies. They are very impressive.

voodoochild
06-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Go on to Ebay and get those giant turkish poppies. They are very impressive.

i just began growing oriental poppies myself!

Peace Rain
03-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Try growing dahlia's, roses, and morning glorys. There my three favorite flowers. Veggie's like tomatoes and cucumbers are very tasty when there home-grown. ;)

Good luck with your new garden!

Astral Eye
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Evergreens give your garden a lease of life during winter. A garden of sticks and twigs can be really depressing. If you feel like a chalenge, you could try cutting the bushes into the shapes of animalls.

Gemnus32
03-23-2011, 03:59 AM
I am moving here soon and i plan to finally make my damn garden, in the back there is nothing but sand, I live in california, where temps range from 30s all the way into the hundreds but as far the coming summer goes 80s if were lucky, but usually 95+ i dont mind physical labor, i just want to get my damn garden ready, even if i have to wait till spring to use it.

Under those conditions, my advice would be to get a large planter or two, and then maybe some large planting pots (I always do ceramic over plastic - if I can.) Then you can pot your garden with potting soil or humus - without trying to defeat an entire backyard's worth of sand. The herbs mentioned in the other related thread - Lavender, Sage, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Mint - are very easy to grow. They will at least survive a summer of that heat, if you pay attention to the plants and the moistness of the soil.

I live in an apartment complex, and my only gardening space is a small overhanging deck that faces west. Further, we have similar type of weather in Dayton - we have bad winters and hot summers. I am able to eke out an herb garden and some annual flowers on my deck every year. If you want a full garden, I'd check out some books on garden planning. Then you'll have to dig out some of that sand so that you can create soil beds for the garden. That will be lots of back work.