PDA

View Full Version : Dream Interpretation: Invisible Crocodiles

Dreamer.
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I had a dream the other night and I've been thinking about it and I reckon I've figured out what it means.

Dream:

I'm in my house with my sister. There are invisible crocodiles all around the house. They become visible whenever I go near them and attack me. I very cautiously try to kill them all with a stick or spear like weapon. I don't want my sister to be eaten by them.

Interpretation:

I feel the meaning of the crocodiles is the most important element of the dream so i started to think about what crocodiles mean to me. Then I remembered many years ago in school we learned a bit about Egyptian mythology and there was always one god that stuck in my head, it was a beast with the head of a crocodile that is present when the dead are judged. I googled it and the name of the God is Ammit and the story goes that the hearts of the dead are weighed against a feather and if it does not balance Ammit eats the heart. He is the god of divine retribution. The meaning of the dream then became clear to me.

I am currently doing exams and the crocodiles are either my unconscious representation of these exams or the representation of the retribution and woe i will experience if i fail. Because this is what Ammit represents - a test. My sister is also currently doing exams and sometimes help her revise her maths which explains her presence in the dream.

Me trying to kill the crocodiles is essentially wish fulfillment. I want my exams to be over and I want to do well! Also the fact that they become visible when I come near them is a representation of how i become more anxious as an exam approaches.

There was no precognition in this dream it was simply a story my unconscious created to reflect my conscious thought and to fulfill a desire.

So what do you think of this interpretation?

S33k3R
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Cool, but what do crocs mean to you personally?

Using an arch-typical symbol reference from a culture not native to your own may or may not be the best place to start?

Maybe when you were younger you went through a crocodile phase or something, and this symbol has now been embedded in your psyche as something different.

...just a suggestion :)

Dreamer.
05-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Using an arch-typical symbol reference from a culture not native to your own may or may not be the best place to start?

Yea i agree with you. Thats the thing though, when i was younger and in school doing eygptian mythology this one crocodile god was the one thing that stuck in my head and I remember it to this day. Thinking about this dream brought it back to my conscious thought.

I'm not a great believer in 'Dream Dictionaries' were you just look up a dream symbol. Instead i try to see how the dream has manifested from my own thoughts and not archetypal symbolism.

Perhaps this dream was a bad example...I'll maybe post an account and interpretation of another one.