PDA

View Full Version : Which direction for meditation?

BlackPhoenix
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Have any of you thought about (or read from sacred texts/told by a guide) what direction to face or lay when meditating? I have been really trying to figure out whats the best for me, but I thought I would ask everyone here to see if there is a general answer. If people could put which way they face/or lay and then your practice or reason for your meditation, I would be great full.

Example:
I lay down with my head pointed to the magnetic North for gathering energy.

VIRAL
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
It usually doesn't matter.

BlackPhoenix
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I was thinking both physical and etheric. The earth magnetic field as well as our bodies flow in a certain direction and many other unseen energies effect us too. And I know some rituals and such call to the four corners to gather what is needed. What I got trip up on was when I was studying a Kundalini meditation and then I read something by Robert Monroe (obe) and they where kind of in line but one had you sit in a casting circle while the other had you lay down. I guess its what works for you. The thing is I really would like to know if there is a common direction for certain practices.

Thank you two for your post by the way!

aroguespirit
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I had to think about it and if I had to say I meditated in a specific direction more often than the others I would say North.

A culture (I don't remember which) believe that if you lay with your head facing north you are more likely to have prophetic dreams. So perhaps that is another reason why I use north.

gelly
07-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Well, in most traditions meditation is to be done facing east.