PDA

View Full Version : I am new to Chaos Magick and i need help, what do i do?

Windmaster
07-15-2009, 05:08 AM
I am new to Chaos Magick and i need help, what do i do? Is there anyhting i should know of imporance? i have no idea where to start...Any tips for a bigginer?

Windmaster
07-15-2009, 07:22 AM
But what don't i screw up?

VIRAL
07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Most of all, try to learn things and have fun.

Windmaster
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
As with anything magickal, take things slow. Read and study up on it as MUCH as you can. You have to know something about it, before you start to do it. Just like driving a car. You would not just go out and start driving a car with out taking a driver's test and learning all about the road signs and what they mean.

Same thing with magick. Time your time and kind of EASE into it.

Thank you all for your help!
But from what i've read, Chaos Magick is about forging your OWN path, I meen the first people to make the car and drive it didn't have any set rules, they where the ones to make 'em, right?
I don't know...just a thought.

ThisIsNecessary
07-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I also suggest to at least read Peter Carroll's "Liber Null & Psychonaut" for some good insight, and an even easier more introductory level book on Chaos Magick try "Condensed Chaos" by Phil Hine. These will give you a good starting point on the viewpoints...but the reality is that with ChM you need to be able to train yourself in mental ability much more than anything else. Carroll's hints at the more psychological side of magick are great. This will be a good starting point to developing the will through mental power.

Its not like other systems where you will end up crouched over dusty tomes, although this of course gives you a great base of knowledge to work with when it comes to magick and any esoteric studies, but my point is that eventually you must take what you have learned from the study of other paradigms and begin to either formulate your own, and/or learn to manipulate them for their only worth.

Find out what works for you and shape it to your desires. Do not be afraid to try new things. Break your own rules!! I can't stress that enough. Doing this will help destroy the walls of any past conditioning or biases set by social, cultural, or religious viewpoints. You have to learn to UNlearn things, to take down the walls of reality brick by brick and then build them back up again to your liking, no matter if it makes sense or not. Then, tear it down again! Experiment! Just make sure you develop a base of knowledge first. After that, dive in and start dissecting practices and put them back together how YOU want it, how YOUR needs dictate the situation.

This is why ChM is generally seen as the purest form of Selfish magick, and in my opinion it is the true definition of Black Magick, for there are no rules here and any limitations are only the ones you set for yourself. Free up all the unused energy and be creative, its the only way to be able to start truly developing willpower for your own ends using ChM.

daecon
07-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Chaos magic is no more (or less) than a Unified Field Theory for magic. It has no spells of its own, though there are certain techniques that are widely known among self identified chaos magicians. Its utility is more as a way to frame the concept of magic and allow the freedom to pursue whatever research the XM might want.

Nightgaunt
07-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Carroll and Hine are must-reads, IMHO. Clickie for Phil Hine's blog. (http://www.philhine.org.uk/) Also, check out anything by Grant Morrison. Read Austin Osman Spare. Read Robert Anton Wilson. Read anything you can get your hands on, even if you're fairly certain it's a load of nonsense. Then, stop reading, get off your ass, and work some magick.

All hail the Red Queen.

Windmaster
07-16-2009, 05:24 AM
THank you All SO much for all the help, but i have another question, this involves servitors...i could use ANY information about them, please.

Gazeeboh
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Windmaster!

Stop!

Don't read anything about Chaos magick. Forget it, the whole thing. As soon as you label something as chaos magick, it defeats the purpose of the original intent. You will automatically become a hypocrite as soon as you hold but one belief.

Instead, don't get caught up in definitions and simply go out into the world and DO magick. Walk down the street looking for magickal plants that you can grind up and put in your love charm. Befriend the spirits at the local park, the ones that live in that old spooky tree. Leave coins for the dead on their headstones at the town cemetery, so they can spend it in the afterlife in return for favors.

Or you can read endless diatribes on "what chaos magick is" or isn't.

The only question is, "does this work or does this not".

Windmaster
07-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Windmaster!

Stop!

Don't read anything about Chaos magick. Forget it, the whole thing. As soon as you label something as chaos magick, it defeats the purpose of the original intent. You will automatically become a hypocrite as soon as you hold but one belief.

Instead, don't get caught up in definitions and simply go out into the world and DO magick. Walk down the street looking for magickal plants that you can grind up and put in your love charm. Befriend the spirits at the local park, the ones that live in that old spooky tree. Leave coins for the dead on their headstones at the town cemetery, so they can spend it in the afterlife in return for favors.

Or you can read endless diatribes on "what chaos magick is" or isn't.

The only question is, "does this work or does this not".

You are VERY correct in my opinion, EVERY human being has the capibilitys to Preform magick, I was just interested in the certain things that came along with Chaos magick, i wanna take stuff from other teachings as well. Such as wicca and tribbal magicks such as shaminism, And i also want to make some of it up too, actualy alot of it, i like that aspect of Chaos magick. But i believe that if you believe in you OWN personal magickal abilitys enough you'll be able to bend the reality you create/live in, But that's just a theoy...I want to write an INTIRE post on all of my idea's...but it's going to be hard to get that concentrated. Hehe, any way, i want to be able to reach a higher spiritual plane.

Thnaks again for all the helpfull advise, Every one.

Nefilim
08-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you all for your help!
But from what i've read, Chaos Magick is about forging your OWN path, I meen the first people to make the car and drive it didn't have any set rules, they where the ones to make 'em, right?
I don't know...just a thought.

Sorry if this point has been touched on already. Chaos is about forging your own path or borrowing from others. But, for example, I was reading about all different types of paths for many years before I really understood how chaos magick works. So maybe read around, don't limit yourself to one particular path or belief structure, consider how all of them can affect your life and be used by you in order to further the development of your own will and the 'Great Work'. I think you should read Crowley, I'm not necessarily saying become a Thelemite, though if it takes you, do so. But instead read Crowley, don't take him at face value though as a lot of people seem to do. Then, if you're lost, read what Robert Anton Wilson, or Grant Morrison or Israel Regardie has to say about him [I recommend 'The Eye In the Triangle' by Regardie.] Then, with this in mind, consider this in light of what chaos magick might be doing.

jaggednib
08-02-2009, 04:36 PM
THank you All SO much for all the help, but i have another question, this involves servitors...i could use ANY information about them, please.

Check out the book Basic Magick by Philip Cooper. He has a chapter about servitors. It's a pretty good book about magic, but not specifically chaos magic. It does give you a good base for magic though.

ZeldaFitz
12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with Gaz, I call Chaos cartoon magick.

ZeldaFitz
12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Baked Beans heh?

Izabael_DaJinn
12-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Windmaster!

Stop!

While my knee jerk reaction was that this was a good summation of Chaos magick, as I thought it through, I feel that it's actually a useless explanation of Chaos Magick.

If you are saying Chaos magick is "everything and nothing" and that it can't be defined, then what is the point of having the term to begin with? Chaos magick is a broad term for a vast array of magickal styles, but there is tendency among Chaos magicians to be against set rules, have a recurrent penchant for servitors, a willingness to use pop-culture, and a love of change and freedom.

Also holding ONE belief is fine for a Chaos magician. She may hold that belief firmly and against all contradictions...while it suits her purpose and then dump it when something more utilitarian comes along.

Chaos magick is certainly flexible and encompasses a wide range of beliefs, but there are still defining characteristics, especially in practice.

xoxo
Izabael

Tanemis
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
I know everyone is saying go and pick up a book and do the magick but I'm new as well. My personal journey thus far has started with learning to harness me. Meaning, learn to focus yourself, build your concentration and KNOW what power is in you, rather than assuming its there and expecting it to work. Everything I've researched about spells, spellwork, rituals, etc. involves you knowing exactly what you're capable of before you do it. You don't stick tomatoes, peppers, onions and some cilantro into a blender and expect salsa, you have to have it plugged in and know what button to mash to make the blender work.

Gazeeboh
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
"I feel that it's actually a useless explanation of Chaos Magick."

Exactly.

Jarhog
12-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I started with Phil Hine but I had already been mixing different systems before I put a label on it. I like to say I will take and use anything that is not nailed down and what I can pry up with a crow bar. When you do start to do things in your everyday life more things fall into place so you can do more. It becomes a lifestyle where you are doing magick everyday as you are walking down the street. Don't be afraid to fail because failures can be more important lessons than if everything works. If you don't fail once and a while you are not doing anything. Take note and interact with those you meet, physical or spiritual, and the world in general.
If you get too caught up in you you will miss out on opportunities to learn.

avangard
01-26-2010, 03:54 AM
A question - are you interested in Chaos magick, or it just seems easy and told you don't have to follow a certain system ( and you probably read about other magicians, how "puffed up" and "hypocrite" they are), you decided "Yeah, this is for me!"? Cause this was the first reason for me. But I am not so sure now, as I read about other kinds of magick more, I started realising i was probably just looking for the easy way, and maybe it's not my way. It's a bit off topic, but probably it's a good idea to look cosely at the reasons why you are interested in Chaos.
P.S. No offence to anybody, just a personal oppinion.

Shadow Weaver
01-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Chaos magic isn't really a place to start. it might be where you're eventualy heading, but to get there you have to have a certain ammount of theory and practice. after all you can't very well sit down an break a working apart for the funcional bits untill you have some idea of what functional is. It's like going into a scrap yard with no idea of what you're looking for, or how the machine you're reparing works.