PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Mystery in Tibet

Gazeeboh
12-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone read this one?

If you have yet to do so, I highly recommend it. I just got it for the holy days and it's awesome.

ZeldaFitz
12-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I am going to have to check that one out. Thanks. I am reading The Secret History of Lucifer at the moment.

Tanemis
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm reading Celtic Myth and Magick.

Belphebe
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I am reading Harry Potter The Goblet of Fire.

Gazeeboh
12-31-2009, 03:05 PM
You will dig it Zelda.

It's a true story of a womans adventures in Tibet. She was a orthodox Buddhist and wound up hanging out in Tibet with wizards and magicians for 14 years. This was during the time when Britan still had Indian territory and access to Tibet was forbidden.

She is a pleasure to read. Alexandra is skeptical of the claims made by people and will often times try and exlapin things to the superstitous pesantry (to no avail). Despite this, bizzare things still occur on her travels. The insight and knowledge she collected here is wonderfully and lucidly presented, without bias.

Some of the highlights that stand out in my mind are the ritual where the magician lays atop a corpse for hours, face to face, chanting a magic formula until the corpse moves. The magician must hang on the corpse as it then runs around the room, jumping up the walls, for if he falls off he will be killed by it. Eventually, it will stick its tounge out. He must bite it's tounge off at this point.

The tounge is an occult weapon thereafter.

That and Chod. Awesome.

How is the Secret History of Lucifer?

---

Tanemis - Have you read about those wizards who were deer yet?

---

Belphebe - Harry Potter is awesome. I can't seem to get past book 3 though.

Belphebe
12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Ooh I am going to read it too. Thank you Gazeeboh.

Tanemis
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
No I have not Gazeeboh. I've been getting minimal time reading done because I get too caught up in writing everything down...

ThornsAlucard
01-17-2010, 08:40 AM
i'm reading The learning arts of Witches & Wizards a guide to the histories and traditions of magic
publisher Anton & Mina Adams

Twilight Siren
01-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I recently got it but haven't read it yet. I bought many books at once .

Hooray for library used book sales and store closing sales:D, but not hooray to the bookstore's actual closing . . because I was working there. Back down to 1 job for me:(