PDA

View Full Version : Any other gamers?

Tanemis
01-09-2010, 04:09 AM
I am a video game nut. The game I'm currently awaiting is only a few weeks from launch so I thought I'd post this and see if there was anyone else out there who are waiting for the same game I am. That game would be:

Star Trek Online.

It releases February 2nd, which I intend to start playing that day. Anyone else?

zero
01-10-2010, 12:40 AM
thats interesting, how long has it been since they had games based off star trek anyways. I remember some in the late 80s and early 90's but thats it. Now star wars has had a lime light for a while with many back and to date. I am not a huge fan of star trek but if done right it may not matter(like kotor, and Star Wars Galaxy)...what kind of game is it going to be mmorpg?

Tanemis
01-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Its going to be a space MMO for alot of it but there will also be away mission instances like what WoW has. It looks worth at least buying the box and see whats up with it.

zero
01-10-2010, 04:05 AM
If I am understanding you correctly bullfrogsrule it is correct gaming is the ultimate time waster, but heck some times I get bored, and all I have is time to waste.

never played wow so I can not compare, but it was based off of warcraft the stratagy game turned into a more traditional rpg or in this case mmorpg.

the game sounds interesting reminds me a bit like an adventure game I played a while back(which I can not remember the name of) with away missions and such but in this case without other players, but npc.

how will the space play out? will there be like a captian looking for crew? and perhaps smaller ships?

quess it is not out yet though...

Tanemis
01-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Well while in space, everyone will captain their own ship. The basic RPG archetypes are going to be represented by the different ship specialties. For instance the healer/buffer archetype will be represented by playing the Science Vessel class ships. You'll be able to reinforce shields and use different kinds of beams and beacons to provide extra buffs for the other ships in your armada (rather than the traditional party). There will be space "raids" that can be accessed as well. Things like invading Borg ships will require you to build a fleet (essentially the equivalent of a raid, multiple armadas {parties} forming to take on a single objective) though I don't know how "loot" is going to be handled from these situations.

The story of Star Trek Online is going to pick up about 50 years after the last movie that came out with the Enterprise crew, meaning 50 years after the movie Star Trek: Insurrection. Not after the Star Trek that just recently came out that was directed by J.J. Abrams, though rumor has it that storylines from that movie (Spock going back into the past) is going to be honored within the video game.

When you go on the away missions, you can go down to the planet with I believe I read 4 others, for a total of 5 people in an away team. If you're playing solo, you'll be the leader of a 5 man team that you will pick from your own crew of your own ship. If, however, you are in a team of 2 or more, the Captains from each ship will go down, plus a complement from either crew to give a total of 5. You can have a full team of 5 Captains though on an away mission should you choose to.

Heres the link to the site:

Star Trek Online (http://www.startrekonline.com/)