PDA

View Full Version : Similarities between spiritual/religious icons

Oh-Key
02-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I figured this fit here better then in "Angels & Demons".

I was doing random research, as I often do, when I noticed the similarities between the descriptions of Demon Zaebos/Sallos and a picture I found of the god or Devas, Varuna.

One of Zaebos's descriptions is thus; "Zaebos is a demon or spirit in the Dictionnaire Infernal. Zaebos is said to be the Grand Count of the infernal realms, and appears in the shape of a handsome soldier mounted on a crocodile. He is supposedly of a gentle disposition" Another depiction is of Sallos with a human head, crowned with a ducal coronet, and the body of a crocodile.

I then came across an image of the God Varuna on his mount makara, " http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/M72_4_2.jpg ". At first glance Makara looks a lot like a green giant lizard not too different from a crocodile, and Varuna a handsome man crowned with a coronet.

I could not help but be stricken by the similarities. I am not saying that Varuna and Zaebos are one and the same, just that they remind me of one another in their depictions. and I found it interesting and thought I'd share my randomness. I'd like to hear any comments and thoughts about this or any other similarities in spiritual / religious icons :)

zero
02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
how about dagon, Poseidon, etc.. I have a feeling that the Hindu origin's are the original inspiration.

Jarhog
03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Many cultures have different names for the same gods/demons/spirits because of the language differences. The name must change in order that the numbers of the jumatra (don't know how to spell that) stays the same.