PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Get Started

Black Magick
02-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I want to become a Magickian/Occultist, but not really sure where to start. Is there anyone that can help me to get started and point me in the right direction? I've done my share of research on some of the basics. I do feel that I need the guidance of an experienced Magickian to help me do it right. I'm starting from scratch, which is probably a good thing --- considering that I don't have any bad beliefs or bad habits that would have to be broken. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I understand it's not an overnight thing, so I'm willing to go for however long it takes for me to become a Magickian.

ZeldaFitz
02-28-2010, 03:58 PM
The best advice I can give you is no advice. What i mean is find a branch of magick that appeals to you, and then research, once you find what it is then one of the members here can steer you to the right person.

NeoeN
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I really liked Initiation into Hermetics by Bardon. It's difficult, but it is very clear, easy to read, and assumes you know nothing. If you're interested in working with the elements or uniting with God, you should probably look into this. Again, it is rather difficult, but not impossible.

I have also heard good things about Modern Magick by Kraig. Never read it myself, but apparently it is also a nice "step-by-step" guide with a focus on ritual and ceremonial magick.

And just echoing what Zelda said, if it doesn't appeal to you, don't use it.

zero
03-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I would advise you to learn a form of divination tarot would be best I think, and see waht the cards say of your path, in the beginning it is hard to tell what way to go, an divination can help in directing you.

gelly
03-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm looking for a full-fledged Magician to study under, willing to pay for the services.

Strider
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I want to become a Magickian/Occultist, but not really sure where to start. Is there anyone that can help me to get started and point me in the right direction? I've done my share of research on some of the basics. I do feel that I need the guidance of an experienced Magickian to help me do it right. I'm starting from scratch, which is probably a good thing --- considering that I don't have any bad beliefs or bad habits that would have to be broken. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I understand it's not an overnight thing, so I'm willing to go for however long it takes for me to become a Magickian.

How does one `become` anything? The key is in the word itself, and in time spent, time on the practical hands-on work of transforming oneself, - and often multiple times -, as you seem to understand. Initialy though, you could do worse than to at least familiarise yourself with the many and varied `Paths`/`Traditions` etc availiable to your interest, and to also take note from ZeldaFitz, and to go with what feels right, and with what you see as being able to provide you with the necessary tools to progress. There are no short cuts or easy fixes here though, and it is likely that you will "outgrow"/progress beyond many choices that initially seemed perfectly suited to your nature, as and when that nature evolves.

"I'm starting from scratch, which is probably a good thing --- considering that I don't have any bad beliefs or bad habits that would have to be broken."
No one starts from scratch, we pass through an environment as we grow, taking on board second hand notions, beliefs, and thought patterns from those within that environment without notice, and these oft missed "bad beliefs or bad habits" - and not any blatant mass controlers - are the real work.
All in all though, I for one am excited as hell for you, as you have - "should you choose to accept this mission" - many years of extraordinary experiences ahead of you.

Strider
03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm looking for a full-fledged Magician to study under, willing to pay for the services.

What you got?
:D

Derwin
03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I want to become a Magickian/Occultist, but not really sure where to start. Is there anyone that can help me to get started and point me in the right direction?This should get you started: On Basic Magic (http://www.ararita418.com/on_basic_magic.html)

monsterbetty
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
My suggestion is to talk to as many people as you can about thier beliefs. It's very interwined and find out what makes sense to you and what your goals are. I'd start journaling. I've been keeping journals and expierment diaries for years. If you need anything or anyone to start with, my contact information is on my profile. If anything we could have an interesting conversation.

SeekerOfTheForm
04-07-2010, 03:01 AM
Almost everyone would give you different advice. I spent almost a decade floundering about before I started to really find my way.

Personally, I would hold that it remains upon your innate talents. If you can already visualize well, and have the mind for symbolism, I would suggest beginning a study on Qabbalah. If you lack the ability to visualize, and do not have any experience in altered states, I would suggest Initiation into Hermetics, as was previously mentioned.

For blatant physical results, a study of chaos magic is likely where you'll want to go. It's cheap, it's simple, it's effective, it's easy.

Regardless of what you may believe, you have a lot of breaking down to do. The method in which I broke down myself is rather taboo in most places, and something I wouldn't suggest, nor will I mention at all until I've read over the forum rules. But I had an exceptionally hard head.

Learn to meditate, learn to visualize, and learn what your will really is before you begin any path is what I'd suggest. Deprogram yourself, and that is a long process in and of itself, before you seek a path. In my opinion, if you still have taboo's, if you still have a belief in the hard nature of reality, you have much work to do before seeking a path.

I believe the elimination of the ego, at least once or twice, is essential to the core of magic. Your mileage may vary.

PS: Is it just me, or does magickian seem like a clunky word?

gelly
05-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm still looking for a Magician/Occultist for guidance. I know one who is very good but I'm not 100% happy with him. :)

I'm looking to make things happen in reality. Physical reality.

EtuMalku
05-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm still looking for a Magician/Occultist for guidance. I know one who is very good but I'm not 100% happy with him. :)

I'm looking to make things happen in reality. Physical reality.Your first priority should be to understand the philosophy behind what magic(k) is and is not.

An understanding of your subjective and your objective universes, what they are, how they differ.

What is your psyche and how does it relate to this phenomenon magick?

Black Magic (particularly Greater Black Magic) is causing a change to occur in your subjective universe through your Will, this change in effect can cause an obvious change in the objective universe which affects others.

Ritual tools that you use are bridges between the two universes and can be essential to 'waking' up the psyche.

EM

devakxes
05-11-2010, 04:26 PM
So what is white magick to you then?

EtuMalku
05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
So what is white magick to you then?White Magic is the deception of consciousness into believing that it has been accepted into the subjective universe. Examples would be everything from stage magic to conventional RHP religions.

EM

gelly
05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Your first priority should be to understand the philosophy behind what magic(k) is and is not.

An understanding of your subjective and your objective universes, what they are, how they differ.

What is your psyche and how does it relate to this phenomenon magick?

Black Magic (particularly Greater Black Magic) is causing a change to occur in your subjective universe through your Will, this change in effect can cause an obvious change in the objective universe which affects others.

Ritual tools that you use are bridges between the two universes and can be essential to 'waking' up the psyche.

EM

My pysche is quite ungrounded and cannot deal with practically, it seems like I deal with astral, and etheric planes better. Therefore I want to use magic and create things in those etheric planes and bring them into reality. I have done it successfully with getting a job and clients. I was am to land a job at exactly the salary I wanted as I originally planned by using sigils. I would like to move on to manifesting a house for example without going through practical processes.

Vir Sapiens
05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
An inability to focus on the practical indicates a lack of mental discipline, at least to my mind. There's your first task right there. Don't look for anyone to guide you until you have a firm reign over yourself. What worked for me was meditation and hard physical activity, something strenuous and repetitive like martial arts kata or stacking really really big rocks. Anyway you just have to push yourself every day. Set a reasonable goal each day and focus your mind solely on that goal. That's my advice anyway. Learn mental discipline.

EtuMalku
05-17-2010, 01:32 AM
That said, I can recommend Franz Barden's 'Initiation to Hermetics'

EM

devakxes
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
It also (just a recommendation) might be a disconnection from the human body. As above, so below.

Centering and grounding helps. That will help give you the strength to develop mental discipline.

EtuMalku
05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
My pysche is quite ungrounded and cannot deal with practically, it seems like I deal with astral, and etheric planes better. Therefore I want to use magic and create things in those etheric planes and bring them into reality. I have done it successfully with getting a job and clients. I was am to land a job at exactly the salary I wanted as I originally planned by using sigils. I would like to move on to manifesting a house for example without going through practical processes.What is your understanding of Astral & Etheric Planes?

EM

gelly
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
My understanding is they are my more finer than our dense material plane. Things can be created or destroyed quickly. I build myself a monastery on the etheric plane to protect myself from a constant bombardment of various energies. As I shift into the etheric plane alot without realising and being conscious of it.

If you create something in the Etheric plane you can materialize it into the material using the 4 elements. Something that is very difficult to do. You could materialise it by attracting conditions and circumstances to materialise say an house, in the physical world, through bringing in abundance.

BLZBUBB
05-26-2010, 03:30 AM

How much are you willing to pay?

gelly
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM
How much are you willing to pay?

$90AU/hour depends of the teacher.

EtuMalku
05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
My understanding is they are my more finer than our dense material plane. Things can be created or destroyed quickly. I build myself a monastery on the etheric plane to protect myself from a constant bombardment of various energies. As I shift into the etheric plane alot without realising and being conscious of it.

If you create something in the Etheric plane you can materialize it into the material using the 4 elements. Something that is very difficult to do. You could materialise it by attracting conditions and circumstances to materialise say an house, in the physical world, through bringing in abundance.Here, I'll give you a free lesson!
The Astral Plane is a product of the human mind. It is not a 'place' it is a 'state of consciousness'.

EM

tram
06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I really liked Initiation into Hermetics by Bardon. It's difficult, but it is very clear, easy to read, and assumes you know nothing. If you're interested in working with the elements or uniting with God, you should probably look into this. Again, it is rather difficult, but not impossible.

Im gonna have an second opinion and say that this book is just awful. It will problary work for you if you are an christian fundamentalist open to scientific ideas that are hundreds of years outdated. But otherwise just stay clear of this crap.

If you are interested in witchcraft I whould recommend Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft. If you are more interested in things such as Lucid dreaming and Astral projection i whould recommend Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce and School of Out-of-Body Travel by Michael Raduga.

tram
06-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Here, I'll give you a free lesson!
The Astral Plane is a product of the human mind. It is not a 'place' it is a 'state of consciousness'.

EM

Its not proven weither it is a state of consciousness or an actual place. So you cant say that for sure.

NewAeon93
06-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Another good beginners book would be "Magick Without Tears" by Aleister Crowley

EtuMalku
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
No wait! . . . I wear a cool black robe and I have been known to chant!!!

Vir Sapiens
06-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Many ceremonial traditions of magic utilize special robes of some sort, though not many are actually black. There is also very little actual chanting in most rituals. Though there are words that need to be said precisely there is very little repetition that one would normally associate with chanting. I don't mean to sound indelicate but, a bit of preliminary research into such topics would go a long way for you. There are online archives full of PDF's of old magical texts which will give you the exact instructions for many ritual workings. You're questions aren't bad ones per say but, they highlight a fundamental misunderstanding of magical tradition with little effort on your part to find out the truth. One thing that many occultists value is the ability to do research and to learn on one's own to a point where one begins to ask intelligent questions.
I would strongly urge you to do a bit of independent research, get some of the fundamentals and then, armed with that knowledge, ask some really interesting questions and learn some really interesting answers.

crystalw
06-28-2010, 08:05 AM
... One thing that many occultists value is the ability to do research...
I absolutely agree with this. Research is not only enjoyable and exciting - uncovering ancient and modern history, searching for clues about how things work and so on - but also thoroughly rewarding.

Not only that, it's important for you to reach your own conclusions on many things, as spiritualism and magic are very personal journeys and experiences. If you are just told what's what, it takes half the fun and the value out of it all :)

BLiGHTERGHAST
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Actually i wear Black robes and chant , often at the same time .

zero
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
the robe is to differentiate the magic act from the mundane act. personally I like to conduct my rituals nude. black, brown, and white are good colors for robes. some may even tailor there robes with symbols and specific meanings in color and design for there works.

chanting is more mysticism(or religious magic) in its nature.

Vir Sapiens
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
i thought this was my research,i thought wrong

Again not trying to be indelicate but, yes you did. Asking questions is great but, honestly your questions are not very good. Do we wear black robes and chant? That's movie magic for the most part, though I'm not saying that no magical tradition has black ritual robes and chanting. It's like asking a fireman whether he wears his turn-out gear to bed. If you were completely and totally ignorant about firemen it might be a good question but, most people over the age of six know the answer to that question. Your questions are very very basic. It's as if you came into a forum where everyone was discussing calculus and said "Hey guys 2+2=4 right?"

I really do recommend you read some books on the subject. You don't have to jump right into Israel Regardie, or Crowley, or Levi. I'd encourage you not to. You might feel more comfortable with, and I mean this seriously, Silver Ravenwolf. I despise the woman and her writing but, she is to magic what first grade is to general education. Some of the information you're looking for you simply do not have the basic knowledge to comprehend and make use of it. I remember a post in one thread you made where you despaired over the lack of spells and thought we were holding out on you. Granted there weren't many spells in that thread but, even if there were you wouldn't have been able to get them to function because you lack the proper prerequisites.

I'm really not trying to jump your case. You're welcome here but, I think that your time spent here would be more rewarding if you did a bit of reading and research on your own. It seems like I'm constantly popping on here to find you posting something odd or asking a question so completely basic that I honestly have to wonder if you aren't trolling because it defies reason that anyone on an occult forum could be that ignorant of the subject they want to discuss. Ignorance isn't a bad thing unless you refuse to replace it with knowledge.

EtuMalku
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
. . . chanting is more mysticism(or religious magic) in its nature.Whereas I would agree that today 'chanting' is seen aligned with religious and mystical aspects. I would like to point out that the ancient and most magickal Egyptian religion was based on Heka, which is the art of Vibrational High Magick.

Mantra is a form of trance, a tool of Heka, and when done correctly modulates the dissociated trance plane by slightly varying the underlying trance generating loop and in turn awakening the deepest, darkest recesses of the psyche where lies our Daemon.

The Kheperu Mantra is highly intoxicating and extremely powerful, echoing the al-khem-ical attributes of Kheprian Manifestation which involve Apophis/chaos - Khepri/Transformation - Maat/Balance restored at a evolved spiritual level.

EM

zero
06-28-2010, 06:40 PM
very true though the Egyptians never differentiated magic, religion, or mundane all were one to them. I am in agreement with this ideology and conduct, though it is not widely thought of so I pointed to mysticism as religious magic thus putting it in a magical category but also religious.

Vir Sapiens
06-29-2010, 06:12 AM
I think that's a bit off in reaction since that's not what was meant. Don't just read these forums. Some of the discussions are going to be pointless because you have no context for it. Seriously, order some books. Read them. You say you're curious but, you have obviously never even read a single book on the topic. I think that's odd given that a great deal of magical teaching and thought we have today was passed on via the written word. If you're not a big reader then a serious study of occult topics might not be what you want to do because it requires a good deal of reading and a better than average vocabulary. I don't usually do this but, check here. (http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/index.htm) You will find all kinds of texts there that you can peruse to your heart's content although some of them may still be a bit beyond your level of understanding. Most of the really interesting stuff is in the more difficult books, without the basics you don't get to understand much. This (http://www.beyondweird.com/crowley/magic_in_theory_and_practice.html) is a rather basic book that might help you some. The only thing I can think of more basic than that is Silver Ravenwolf's stuff which is fine for the most basic of basics and rubbish for most anything else.

Vir Sapiens
06-30-2010, 03:18 AM
thats the problem ,everything is almost beyond my understanding,and i get impatient with books,i ordered the goetia a couple of weeks ago,i was so excited but then it wasnt what i thought it would be i got bored with it the first day,ill be alright ,ill see what u put on the here word,thank you

The occult, by definition, is a scholarly pursuit. You have to be comfortable reading and researching because about 70% of the time that's what you do, or at least I find my time is divided up that way with 30% actual ritual work and practice. If you're looking for a cook book style magical work then you'll be disappointed. The Goetia is about as formulaic as they come. It more or less gives you a step by step how to on ceremonial evocation. The only way it could be simpler is if it broke it down into a cook book format but, you won't find many of those type of books although, and once again I can't believe I'm recommending her for the third time here, Silver Ravenwolf does break down her rituals into a formula that is easy to follow. She also is an atrocious author with a bad vocabulary so she isn't difficult to read. While I hate her and most of what she writes I've seen many people begin a rewarding journey with her books as their first step. Almost no one sticks with her interpretation of Wicca or magic in general but, it gives you the proper frame of reference to start reading other books.

I-S-O-N
12-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm still looking for a Magician/Occultist for guidance. I know one who is very good but I'm not 100% happy with him.

I'm looking to make things happen in reality. Physical reality.

To me, magic and spirituality is a very individualistic endeavor and a path of self discovery. Meaning it cannot be taught like how one can teach another person how to build a house. There is a reason why often the mystic is stereo typed to being a loner. It is too intuitive to be passed down as a technical ability.

The most you can get out of us is guidance.

The best advice I will ever give you before you go looking for some one to guide you is read up about how to spot a false teacher. I would recommend reading "Cults in our Midst" by Margaret Thaler Singer before any thing else.

As for the Physical reality thing? Others may disagree with me on this, but I don't think magic is intended to affect objective reality .

Nexus
12-18-2010, 01:48 AM
I find people looking for a teacher a bit off putting when they dont have any reason other than "magic is cool" I'd like to know the reasoning behind why a few of you are looking into learning such things