PDA

View Full Version : Maitreya's Nine-Petaled Lotus Throne

Royal Heart
01-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Does anyone here happen to know what the significance of the number nine is in the context of Maitreya's nine-petaled lotus throne? I can't seem to find anything that says why there are nine petals. It seems oddly specific so I imagine there's a reason for it.

Lady Dunsany
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
It has been a long time, but basically it pertains to the sacred number of being, the nine and can apply to the male generative energy. It is as an opening of a lotus flower each part of your being is opened up as you become more and more in touch with your universal power. Nine is a sacred number in many practices, and in the Golden Flower meditation you are opening one point as you start to become closer to the center which will put you in touch with the true divinity within which enables you to no longer need a physical body. This is the most I can give at this time. In Theosophy Maitreya Buddha is considered the last Messiah of great cycle. I must also add that the eight which pertains to the eightfold path becomes nine when you connect with your true self.

Royal Heart
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
That is a fascinating post, Lady Dunsany, thank you. Especially the last sentence that you wrote. I would most certainly have expected there to be eight petals or some other auspicous number, but I thought nine was a little unusual. I appreciate your response.

Lady Dunsany
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
It was my pleasure.