PDA

View Full Version : A Starting Point for the New

Stelionis Ignigenae
01-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Essays

The Nine Satanic Statements (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/NineStatements.html)

Eleven Rules of the Earth (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Eleven.html)

The Nine Satanic Sins (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Sins.html)

Pentagonal Revisionism (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/PentRev.html)

Recognizing Pseudo-Satanism (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/PseudoS.html)

Satansim Needs An Enema! (http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/Enema.html)

Basic Reading

The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey

The Satanic Witch by Anton Szandor LaVey

The Satanic Scriptures by Peter H. Gilmore

This will serve as a good primer for the beginning of your studies.

Odin
01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
thanks Stelionis Ignigenae

I'll give it a quick read looks interesting and well rounded

Stelionis Ignigenae
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
There are a few other readings one interested in Satanism should look into. Actually there are millions but I will only list a few.

Yes, the learning never ends. I just didn't want to overwhelm anyone. :D

Stelionis Ignigenae
01-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh I know. It is not as if I was trying to make your post seem inadequate. The books you mentioned are great jumping off points for the novice. I was just listing what reading I think they should undertake after expending the resources you gave.

Yes, and for anyone reading this, you may want to save Ayn Rand for last. :rolleyes:

Skeptismo118
01-14-2009, 04:27 AM
The early Church of Satan Reading List, with comments by LaVey

he Morning of the Magicians by Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier. NY: Avon Books, 1968. Anton LaVey: “First and best work ever done describing the Satanic influence in the world.”

The Black Arts by Richard Cavendish. NY: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1968. “Good basic primer on the subject.”

A Fascinating History of Witchcraft, Magic, & Occultism by W.B. Crow. North Hollywood: Wilshire Book Co., 1970. “Has much new material of interest to Satanic scholars.”

The Satanic Mass by H.T.F. Rhodes. London: Jarrold’s Publishers Ltd, 1968: “A non-hysterical account by a criminologist who has researched his subject well.”

Witchcraft: Its Power in the World Today by William Seabrook. NY: Lancer Books #78656, 1968. “Witchcraft discussed in terms of suggestive psychology.”

The Second Coming: Satanism in America by Arthur Lyons. NY: Dodd, Mead, 1970. “Discusses our Church from an objective standpoint, shows how the media have maligned our Order, and gives concise comparisons with the beliefs of some of the ‘Satanic cults’.”

Rasputin by Colin Wilson. London: Panther Books, 1966. “An insight into the workings of a truly Satanic magician.”

The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles G. Finney. NY: Viking Press, 1935 “A tale that tells it all; every human foible is dissected. It is the epic of man’s desire and futility: Zarathustra under canvas - an excursion to the highest Llamasery of the Red Monks for those who can read it.”

The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers. NY: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895 “First on my list, as it is the work of a writer of cheap romances who became dæmonically possessed after being involved in espionage work of a delicate nature, the implications of which are still cycling. Chambers, in his literary emergence from the Impressionists of his day, cast a die for Lovecraft, Orwell, Huxley, and many others. Yes, the reading of The King in Yellow in its entirety can drive one mad, if one realizes the insidiousness of the thing.”

Cult of the Cat by Patricia Dale Green. NY: Tower Publications, 1970 [later reprinted as The Archetypal Cat by Spring Publications, Dallas, TX] “Without question the most enlightening book yet written on the relationship of the cat to Satanism.”

Modern Ritual Magic: The Rise of Western Occultism by Francis King. NY/UK/Australia: Macmillan, 1989 “A comprehensive survey of the Golden Dawn and other magical orders. Contains more actual, no-nonsense information than can be gleaned from the ponderous writings of the orders covered.”

Odoratus Sexualis by Iwan Block. North Hollywood: Brandon House, 1967. “The use of odors in magic.”

Magica Sexualis by Emile Laurent and Paul Nagour. North Hollywood: Brandon House, 1966. “Contains some little-known lore.”

The Social Contract by Robert Ardrey. NY: Atheneum, 1970. “The Law of the Jungle as applied to human behavior. How the fallacy of ‘all men are created equal’ has created an imbalance - perhaps necessary - in man’s potential. A beautifully written book guaranteed to hurt many whose only claim to fame is that they are ‘higher animals’.”

Collective Search for Identity by Orrin E. Klapp. NY: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1969. “A useful key to the understanding and utilization of Lesser Magic.”

Heroes, Villains, and Fools by Orrin E. Klapp. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 1962. “Same comments as applied to Collective Search for Identity.”

The Psychology of Man’s Possible Evolution by Peter D. Ouspensky. NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 1969. “Should be read especially by those members whose magical ability is hampered by flaws in their balance factor.”

Behavior Control by Perry London. NY: Harper & Row, 1969 “A Satanic glimpse into the very near future. As this book was too hot for most markets, it might be difficult to obtain.”

The Myth of Mental Illness by Thomas S. Szasz. NY: Dell Publishing Co., 1961. “A scathing indictment against the Judæo/Christian glorification of weakness and inadequacy which has fostered the psychic vampire. A fine book by a courageous writer.”

Man and Time by J.B. Priestley. NY: Crescent Books, 1964. “A beautifully done book which explains many sound theories of space and time. Very usable information.”

The Last Days by Anthony Hunter. London: Anthony Blond Ltd, 1958. “A fairly scarce work from England which explains the workings of the prophets of doom who prey upon their followers’ fears that the world will end, tidal waves, earthquakes, etc.”

Emma-O
02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
''Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom''
these were the words in Satanic Bible that made me love Lavey;)

Murmur
02-07-2009, 11:49 PM
''Give blow for blow, scorn for scorn, doom for doom''
these were the words in Satanic Bible that made me love Lavey;)

"If a man smite you on one cheek, smash him on the other."

That's my personal favorite.

isis
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM
i agree lol

xervans
02-08-2009, 09:42 AM
that's a great starter list not only for laveyan satanists, but for any satanist in general. I would just put the whole satanic bible on the list, though. then the SR, then you can go on to Aquino & friends.

Sekhmet
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
With all due respect, xervans--I wouldn't bother with "Aquino and friends." Aquino has claimed that the Church of Satan is no longer active/functioning, and basically claims that the Temple of Set is the continuation of the CoS. I guess that's what happens when one quits the CoS and stomps off, perhaps for some sort of retribution? ::shrugs::

xervans
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
With all due respect, xervans--I wouldn't bother with "Aquino and friends." Aquino has claimed that the Church of Satan is no longer active/functioning, and basically claims that the Temple of Set is the continuation of the CoS. I guess that's what happens when one quits the CoS and stomps off, perhaps for some sort of retribution? ::shrugs::

I can see where you're going, but one of the biggest mistakes one can make in the study of the occult is the refusal of studying something. The church of satan doesn't function as it once did. I find that good ole' Anton abided by his own philosophy very well (he made ridiculous claims that gave him a few S.B. sells and a bit more publicity. This is respectable, as many religious leaders do not practice what that preach *COUGH* tedhaggard *COUGH*, but LaVey actually did so. But, because of his actions, the Church of Satan and it's actions are not applicable to someone such as myself.

Still, Aquino made quite a few decent works and I got quite a bit out of them. I don't care what his background was, or what his future was, hell, I don't care much about the man himself, it's his works that I make my judgements on.

WiggyWarlock
02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Temple of Set reading list is linked for info

http://www.4shared.com/file/85263365/246ca072/Temple_of_Set_Reading_List.html

Aquino moved away from the "might is right" approach to a more mystical/esoteric view of satanism. As you say he did a lot of good stuff but doesn't suit everyone.

Sekhmet
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I wasn't stating that one should refuse to study him, I was merely stating that he claims to be something he is not, and for that, one should be weary upon reading his material. The Temple of Set is not the CoS in ANY way, shape or form. My point: I think it is important to read all you can regarding these studies, but Aquino doesn't have anything to do with the CoS.

This is the "Laveyan Satanism" thread, right? ;)

StarlessAeon
02-11-2009, 01:59 AM
I was once a member of the Temple of Set. I don't think "Satanism" is really the proper word to define their beliefs. Satanism was defined by Anton LaVey in The Satanic Bible whether anyone likes that or not. There simply did not exist any structured form of Satanism before that.

The Temple of Set practices Setianism. I would say it contains some aspects of Satanism but overall is a different belief system. Aquino and co. no longer define themselves as Satanists either, which is pretty apparent if you read their material.

If that is your bag, then more power to you. I didn't care too much for their overall approach, but that's just me.

Sinistar666
02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
that's a great starter list not only for laveyan satanists, but for any satanist in general.

I've observed that Theistic/Traditional Satanists even refer to the Satanic Bible as an excellent source to assist with purging much of the Christian and Muslim dogma that many had been raised with. I myself found myself agreeing with the majority of what LaVey wrote. He did "borrow" ideas from Nietzsche, Rand, and Redbeard and put them into a modern perspective during the 60's and 70's, which was liberating at that time.

morrigan raven moon
02-22-2009, 09:17 AM
this thread is good too i am learning a lot form you guys keep up the good work cant wate to read more.

Mirfalan
05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you for this post. It has rekindled my interest in LaVeyan Satanism.

RunningAroundNakedOnFire
05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Wait a minute, I thought TOS actually believes set exists?

Doesn't that go against LaVey's COS and their refusing to believe in "pipe dreams"? They state to not really believe in satan. Mostly just about indulging your carnal whims without the guilt of sin or jeebus? I see COS more as a big finger to ingorance and religion(ie bullshit) more than "satan" worshipper of course. So COS + TOS = hmm what's the math symbol for complete opposites? :D

Blah, someone is going to yell at me know, aren't they?:p

JenP
10-18-2011, 01:59 AM
:DA lot here to read. Especially LaVey's reading list. Currently reading "Secret Life of A Satanist" among others. Just started listening to "48 Laws of Power" audio book. It's of a satanic mindset. Over time I think it all will help. Still fairly new. I find all LaVey's books good.