PDA

View Full Version : books

grbree
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey im looking for some literature on native-american beliefs for a friend and im really at a loss, any thing would be appreciated.

Vir Sapiens
07-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Which tribe? They were all different with different legends and lore.

grbree
07-03-2010, 03:12 PM
It honestly doesn't matter my friend really needs a just a general look on the tribes there trying to find themselves and think that the native americans beliefs would help, i really have very little knowledg of the subject i never bothered with it.

Vir Sapiens
07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Try The Encyclopedia of Native American Religions: An Introduction. It's factual and basic which sounds like what he might need now. Later on he may want to go into more detail but, if he is just trying to find himself this might be the shallow water to test.

zero
07-03-2010, 04:25 PM
a collection of folktales and legends (http://www.native-languages.org/legends.htm) which i think will get one into the mind of a society.

grbree
07-04-2010, 02:53 AM
thank you this will help would anyone haveanything in-depth on cherokee.

zero
07-04-2010, 03:02 AM
gota love sacred texts Myths of the cherokee (http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/cher/motc/)

is any one here native American with knowledge of the culture?

Vir Sapiens
07-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Only the Tsalagi and only what my great grandmother taught me. I'm not even a quarter Tsalagi.

grbree
07-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I have an almsot non-existent amount of blackfoot in me never bothered with it though, from what i have heard of the basic beliefs i find it next to useless to me.

zero
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Interesting i have a bit of Blackfoot(or Siksika) as well, plus English, and Irish from my mothers side, and German from my fathers side. I have indian feet too; mid section touches ground. when i was a kid it was hard to shop for shoes though they don't seem to put the hump in them any more. I have never met any of my native relatives. my great grandmothers tryst with a native American is where my indian part comes from. the rest goes much further back.