PDA

View Full Version : Seperating the mental & spiritual sates

morningstar
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I am trying to ascertain the difference between these two terms, to me, they seem quite alike, its easy to separate the physical state as a clear distinction can be felt between the mental/spiritual & the physical. But how does one differentiate the mental & spiritual? Won't they always be the same? For e.g if you are depressed, is it a mental feeling or spiritual feeling? Can you be spiritually joyful & mentally morose & vice-versa?

Strider
07-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I am trying to ascertain the difference between these two terms, to me, they seem quite alike, its easy to separate the physical state as a clear distinction can be felt between the mental/spiritual & the physical. But how does one differentiate the mental & spiritual? Won't they always be the same? For e.g if you are depressed, is it a mental feeling or spiritual feeling? Can you be spiritually joyful & mentally morose & vice-versa?

Interesting. Where does one end and the other begin? Being as we are, we have a desire to categorize/label things in order to bring them into better focus for understanding etc - even if, as in this case, there may well be no `cut-off` point between the different (`mental` and `spiritual`) states at all. Supposedly the seat of consciousness, ones mental faculties could also be seen as more of a `nexus` between states, and fluid - housing the reflective qualities necessary to study/improve/manipulate etc. The mind, having the potential to perceive both what is `other` and beyond itself, and the ability to study its own makeup make it a slippery sucker at best, I guess.

kid kunjer
08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
it seems to me that it must be remembered that words are imperfect tools used to point towards a conscept and they are not the concept itself.
sometimes words can be set up in such a way to suggest a false duality when really there is none. it could further be argued (if you were that way inclined) that all divisions were illusory and really all things exist only as different shades on a spectrum of a kind of meta-rainbow.
the point is that its just word games. sometimes fun, but don't let them worry you.