PDA

View Full Version : Clive Barker: Books of the Art

mindway
01-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Is anyone else familiar with this series of books? It began with The Great and Secret Show, followed by Everville, and the third installment is rumored to be in the works.

There are many occult references in this series, especially the first book, and while I'm sure some were fabricated for the fiction, much of it resonates with what I've learned in my own studies.

Here is the quote that opens the first book:

"Memory, prophecy and fantasy -
the past, the future and
the dreaming moment between -
are all one country
living one immortal day.

To know that is Wisdom.

To use it is the Art."

Some of his other books like Imajica and Weaveworld touch on similar ideas. I'll need to dig through the book some more to follow up with examples, but in the meantime, I'm starting this thread to see who else has noticed these themes in his work...and, more importantly, what can we learn from them?

I personally find that some of the most profound 'magickal' texts are literary works (at least that's what works for me) and these books seem so explicitly magickal that it would be do well to study them.

Opinions? Reactions?

arkham
01-14-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm a Clive Barker fan, but all his work is fictional maybe loosely based on books he read. I've never done research on him, just read some of his stories.

S33k3R
01-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Oh yea, Clive Barker is very cool...funnily I've just read The Great and secret Show.
I read "The Imajica" a few years ago...blew me away. he's got a funny little series "The ABARAT". also very cool.

If you are into long and warped occultish readings...I recommend the Stephen kings Dark tower series, starting with the Gunslinger...its epic.

Manbearpig
01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Loved "Imajica". Any Clive Barker fan should also check out his latest "Mr. B. Gone"....about a demon named Jakobak Botch. Twisted and with a deeply dark humor.

Y Ddraig Goch
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
anyway i know its offtopic but... Manbearpig, dude can i ask u something ? do u by any chance playing world of warcraft ??? cause i am sure that on one private server named WoWUnleashed there was a dude using that name for one of his characters. if u are who i think you are, just tell... :)

/cheers

Manbearpig
01-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Nah. I would love to play WoW, but I don't. It's just a name from a South Park episode, and I would guess lots of people use it. It was kind of frivolous on my part, and it's a good bet that soon as I can afford a membership donation, I'll probably change it. :rolleyes: