PDA

View Full Version : Crowley - Thoth Tarot Decks

Dark Guardian
08-27-2010, 07:44 AM
I am interested in this deck for quit a while, and while looking at it, I can see that the names of some of the cards are different, and the artwork is indeed unique.
What are the differences between this deck and regular decks?
Also, I saw that there are 4 variants: Small Cards, Normal Cards, A De-Lux pack and a Mirror of the soul Deck. What are the differences?

Thanks

QueenBeeBeeMarie
08-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Mister Crowley apparently decided to do things differently from a normal Tarot deck.The links below may be able to help you understand the differences.

Thoth tarot deck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth_tarot_deck)

there is also an online reading spot for you.
Tarot: Crowley Thoth Deck On-line Reading (http://www.fourthdimension.net/thoth/)

and some more information on it
Crowley Thoth Tarot Deck (http://www.learntarot.com/acdesc.htm)
Tarot Garden Library: Thoth Comparison Table (http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php)

Dark Guardian
08-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Thank you, helped me a lot :)

Seyk
08-30-2010, 08:25 AM
May I ask which was the previous tarot you used/are using?

Dark Guardian
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Started with the Gothic Tarot, and after that moved to the classic Rider-Waite deck.

QueenBeeBeeMarie
08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Thank you, helped me a lot :)

your welcome.Glad I could help

AgrippaAquinas
12-01-2010, 09:00 PM
If you can find it at the local book store (Barnes and Noble usually carries it) get a copy of "The Book of Thoth". If not, it is available on Amazon.

It's Crowley's own explanation of his Tarot. While I disagree with a lot of Crowley's innovations, the Book of Thoth is actually a godsend when it comes to utilizing the Thoth Tarot.

zedoktar
04-19-2011, 04:13 AM
The Thoth deck is also a visual codification of the sum of Crowley's system, which was in no small part a syntheis of all Western magick before that, such as Alchemy, Qabalah, Gnosticism, Hermeticism, etc.

Lon Milo Duquette has a decent book on the Thoth tarot, and the Keywords book by Hanjo Banjhalf helped me.

Crowley amended some discrepancies in older decks as well, including the "Tzaddi is not the Star" switch, essentially creating a mobious strip in the way the Paths run through the Trumps. Also, note the cards such as Strength changed to Lust, Judgement to Adjustment, and Temperance to Art, to reflect New Aeon ideals (IE, natural balance in place of harsh judgement from the Sky Daddy, passionately embracing your inner Beast instead of manhandling/taming it) of Thelema.

Many decks in the last century are little more then some enterprising persons attempt to cut and paste their own symbols onto decks. Some are just tiresome attempts to make novelty decks.
A few are an adepts synthesis, a requirement of certain initiatory levels in the old Golden Dawn system, and I think the Thoth is Crowley's master work in this vein. It is not just a cut and paste of Thelemic symbols, it is a reformulation.

I have spent years delving into this deck and it never loses its charm. I swear its sentient... it looks back at you. Sometimes it seems to have a sense of humor.

It is complex as well; with decks like the RW you can create a story from the action and images on the cards quite readily. The Thoth deck can be a little abstract and you definately need to know the language of it.

windpot
11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I just purchased the crowley thoth deck a couple of days ago, it iz indeed an amaizing deck, ny previous deck was the deviant moon tarot and i felt that the symbolism used in the cards were very diluted.
But the symbolismin the thoth deck iz just amaizing you can see how its one of the greats in correspondence witht he rider waitte deck:)

Jackal
11-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I hate him...A total twat and obviously stupid if he invoked what he did.
I don't even believe a lot of the things he wrote.

windpot
11-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Honestlyy:P
He is over rated but only in the sense he got blowen way up for beein a sickoo :P
His teachings are ageless if you can see by his obvious childhood repression.
So many people dont give his writings a chance because in all of the reports n documentaries made about him choose quotes from his diary n tht of him lustingg after sum Wenchee in his housee n all the dark depraved sex magic.
like if you look at the thoth tarot you see a totally different side to his knowledge n he chose the perfect artist to represent them

Jackal
11-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Oh, he was intelligent.
You can be intelligent and stupid at the same time easily.

windpot
11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
definently, he had some deamons as we would say lol:))
but his works are untouchablee, teached me soo much so i have to give credit to him:p

Branwen
11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh, he was intelligent.
You can be intelligent and stupid at the same time easily.

I don't think he was stupid. I think he believed he was invincible.