PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Begin

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Im looking into beginning research on the occult (Magick and so forth)
is there any certain books i should get at a beginners level?
Im preety much lost when it comes to this subject but im very very interested in it any help would be much appreciated.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I have heard of Crowley about the only one i have actually heard of and thanks for the recommendations ill definitely buy those when i get paid.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Not sure exactly what i want to do. Just want to learn about the different paths and what not.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Witchcraft.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendation I'll definately look those up any thing else you recommend? And are those pretty simple?

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
thanks i appreciate the help all of these books can be found on amazon right? Or is there another site you use to purchase these book?

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks alot! I was just searching for a site like that. Also besides witchcraft what do you guys study?

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Haha thats what im looking in finding a few points of interest. Just need to search for those :)

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
what is the definition of tough? like as in trying to understand cause i have read a little in my day so it might be difficult but not impossible for me. Im thinking about getting Raymond Bucklands book and the Crowleys Book with the book of thoth just to read over.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 06:39 PM
well thats good ill definately pick it up whats are your views on the thoth tarot deck?

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok :) that was the deck i was thinking of getting based on recomendations. Does it have anything to do with witchcraft?

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure Witchcraft is one of my side projects that i will be embarking on but Magick was my main interest into joining this site so i will definately be picking up the Book of Thoth and the deck

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Don't try to influence new members. You are not a teacher.

I was only asking his views on the Thoth Deck.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
as of now i have not chosen a path just going to explore a while :) which is why i asked about everyones view on things

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok here is my beliefs
I do not believe in a "god"
in the sense that an almighty greater than us exists
and judges us
im not referring to just christianity
and from this i was looking for a path
based off this.

PumKinHeDD
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
what kind of satanist? I was told once to read up on it so i bought Lavey's Satanic Bible and didnt agree with it tottally

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I see some of that book was a little confusing for me

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 02:27 PM
well i will definitely give it another read then. :) And thanks for the link i will be ordering a whole bunch of book when i get paid this friday.

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 02:58 PM
These are some of the books im thinking of buying this friday.

1. Bucklands Blue Book (http://pentaclepress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0-87542-050-8&Category_Code=WIC&Product_Count=12)

2. Janet Farrar - A Witches Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Witches-Bible-Complete-Handbook/dp/0919345921)

is there anything else i should get, just to be starting out?

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
So are those 2 books enough to get started on a basic level? Or is there any other ones I should look into?

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Spell craft and candle magic is what im aiming for

PumKinHeDD
10-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok will do im reading over the PDF of Bucklands Blue book.

Aradia
10-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Ahh, yes. Buckland's Complete Book Of Witchcraft. WONDERFUL book. :)

PumKinHeDD
10-06-2010, 05:56 AM
well like i said i will definately ordering it this weekend and reading over it and practing some of the stuff in it soon :)

PumKinHeDD
10-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Well i do have a question in the book, it has instructions on how to build and alter and various other tools. Is it absolutely necessary to have these? A knife and sword are possible for me to attain, its the alter im not so sure about.

Aradia
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
well like i said i will definately ordering it this weekend and reading over it and practing some of the stuff in it soon :)

okay. i think you will like that book. :)

By the way, no. you don't necessarily need tools. tools are only focal points and decorations. :) you can do a ritual without tools. however, down the road you might like to start incorporating tools in your rites.

PumKinHeDD
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok thanks alot makes sense thats the only thing i was skeptical about.

Aradia
10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=PumKinHeDD;35691]Well i do have a question in the book, it has instructions on how to build and alter and various other tools. Is it absolutely necessary to have these? A knife and sword are possible for me to attain, its the alter im not so sure about.[/QU

no it is not necessary you can use a kitchen knife for an athame, and a little iron frying pan for a cauldron, the altar can be a little table and if you don't want to leave it up at all times you can set it up as you need it.

Yes. I have a round table that i use as an altar. i leave mine up all the time.

Vissago_666
10-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I have been working with the A.A. system of magick as set fourth in Gems from the Equinox and yes I have found the system extremely difficult but after having studied it for some time now, I am finally making my way through the maze. I want to buy Lon Milo's book on Crowley's magick, as I have heard it is very informative for anyone attempting this path. As for someone interested in Witchcraft, and I know ill probably be hated for saying this by some of you, but the system of the Frosts style of Wicca has proven itself to be quite affective for me. But to each their own, I was tired of fleeting from system to system, that is the worst mistake a beginner can make. In the words of Dion Fortune "if you are an eclectic before you are an adept in a system, you are surely a dabbler". I hope this helps. And if anyone out there is wrestling with the A.A. system I would love to hear from you!! Laters.

teeGee
10-07-2010, 09:05 AM
i think, learn everything there is to know but consider those things that can be used to harm and those tecniques that can harm others as a means to defend yourself ( if you need to) and those things that can be uses to do good then consider and try what you can do with that.

Also do not let your imagination run wild, do not get the spooks, do not be ready to believe everything that you read, or everything that the author believes.

There is a lot of esoteric law in Tarot which is worth learning about.

NightPanther
10-08-2010, 05:43 AM
I recommend you start out by studying your ethnic orgins, for me being irish it was celtic witchcraft and paganism, but I'm also passionate about sumerobabylon, if you were italian maybe dianic, stregheria, or the books by grimassi,
also chris penczak on several books, even high magick (ascension magick is good one, also his take on reiki), Mouray's green witch grimoire, the book of thoth and the witches qaballah by reed. Also as someone mentioned daniel kraigs book on ceremonial magic are good IMO.

RÊVE
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
The best learning & unlearning comes from direct communication to Natura.

Such requires long periods of isolation from human memes.

Kreius_the_23rd
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
is there any certain books i should get at a beginners level?

To an absolute beginner I'd recommend Cosmic Trigger 1: The Final Secret of the Illuminati by Robert Anton WIlson. Although the book has some helpful references to the occult, I find Wilson's message about skepticism and chapel perilous much more relevant to my own magickal and occult research.

I'll recommend the Book of Lies by Crowley too, just because its alot of fun and is incredibly instructive. At the very least I'd recommend reading Chapter 27 before you die.

I-S-O-N
12-06-2010, 05:47 PM
what are you interested in? if you are just starting i would go with something a bit easier. we have a few threads regarding how to get started.

With the outermost respect, I often found informative threads in forums on any subject I am interested tend to be like a snack, where as a book is more filling, like a meal.