PDA

View Full Version : A thing or two about Norse Mythology

Y Ddraig Goch
01-16-2009, 05:31 AM
I think this thread might be useful for some of you looking for thing or two about Norse Mythology. And since its a bunch of info here you are a link to a website that contains pretty much of that info.

Encyclopedia Mythica: Norse mythology. (http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html)

Enjoy.

Lady Dunsany
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I think this thread might be useful for some of you looking for thing or two about Norse Mythology. And since its a bunch of info here you are a link to a website that contains pretty much of that info.

Encyclopedia Mythica: Norse mythology. (http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html)

Enjoy.

Thank You Belpheron for sharing the information. I am sure it will help beginners interested in this subject.

Odin
01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
In Norse myth, Huninn ("thought") and Muninn ("memory") are the two main stays of the Chief God Odin

It is said and believed that Odin would send the ravens Huninn and Muninn out every mourning to fly over the earth, returning at night to sit upon his shoulders and tell him what they saw and heard.

Odin is the god of war and of death as well as the god of wisdom and poetry.

As he hung for nine days pierced with his own spear he learned nine powerful songs and eighteen runes and is the watcher over nine worlds

Odin can make the dead speak and question the wisest amongst them.

From this throne he observes all that happens in the nine worlds. The tidings are brought to him by his two raven Huginn and Muninn. He also resides in Valhalla, where the slain warriors are taken.

Odin's attributes are the spear Gungnir, which never misses its target, the ring Draupnir, from which every ninth night eight new rings appear, and his eight-footed steed Sleipnir. He is accompanied by the wolves Freki and Geri, to whom he gives his food for he himself consumes nothing but wine. Odin has only one eye, which blazes like the sun. His other eye he traded for a drink from the Well of Wisdom, and gained immense knowledge. On the day of the final battle, Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir.
Wednesday is named after him (Wodan).

Y Ddraig Goch
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
that website i posted contains most of the world's mythologies. so feel free to look around it.

Lady Dunsany
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I will. I am Greek Mythology crazy but have started getting more and more into Norse.

Y Ddraig Goch
01-16-2009, 05:37 PM
heheh nice one odin. anyway i think i should explain my name Balpheron. it from a game... Neverwinter Nights. there is an elven dude that sacrificed whole village to become undead. his undead form is one of a lich, but instead of domain over ice and death, this type of lich has its domain over fire. :)

Y Ddraig Goch
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
anyway my favorite norse god is Tyr. brave, self-sacrificing, wise. tho i have read somewhere else that his weapons is sword not spear, but it really doesnt matter. i think he is the original idea of paladins. :)

Lady Dunsany
01-16-2009, 05:50 PM
My favorite is Heimdall , son of nine mothers. His horse was Goldtop. He blew his horn at Ragnarok to announce the coming of the end of time. He died fighting Loki. I liked the fact he had second sight and could see to the ends of the worlds.

Stella
01-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the resources. I have always been fascinated with Norse culture, Freya in particular. Some time ago, when I was more active on my path, I had several vivid dreams about Freya and I have always felt close to her. The dreams had little, if anything to do with particular Norse mythology, but somehow I knew it was her. I'm looking forward to learning more.

SWM
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
This is one of my favorite webcomics. Its been going on for YEARS so you might want to dig through the archives. Its about the Norse gods represented as children. Loki likes to play with dolls. :D

"- Brat-halla" Jeffery Stevenson (writer/letterer), Seth Damoose (artist), Anthony Lee (colorist) (http://www.graphicsmash.com//comics/brathalla.php)

Lady Dunsany
01-17-2009, 06:39 PM
This is one of my favorite webcomics. Its been going on for YEARS so you might want to dig through the archives. Its about the Norse gods represented as children. Loki likes to play with dolls. :D

"- Brat-halla" Jeffery Stevenson (writer/letterer), Seth Damoose (artist), Anthony Lee (colorist) (http://www.graphicsmash.com//comics/brathalla.php)

Say it isn't so.

White Wolf
01-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Thank you for posting that link. I'm fascinated by anything Norse.

SWM
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Say it isn't so.

Its so good isn't it? I find it adorable :D

Lady Dunsany
01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Loki the trickster, Mr. Fox playing with dolls. " I will retire to Bedlam", as Scrooge stated.

Harlock
02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
I am going to post a thread with a site that has info on multiple dieties from almost any pantheon but these are very helpful

Lady Dunsany
02-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Please do, I am a Greek and Roman Mythology nut, but my husband is Norwegian and I am trying to find out more about Norse Gods and others.

Gazeeboh
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Once upon a time, possibly due to Loki, the frost giants got ahold of Thors hammer.

Thor woke up and discovered this. "Where the hell is my hammer?!" he stated loudly, releasing the odor of stale mead from his mouth.

Loki shows up and says they should go borrow Freya's flying coat. So they do, but only Loki flys to the frost giants palace.

When he gets there, the lead frost giant says to him "Hey, if I can marry Freya, I'll totally give you the hammer back." Loki giggles, says it's cool, and heads back to Asgard.

When he relays the message to the Aesir, they are pissed. Freya doesn't want to do frost giants, and Thor really wants his hammer. So they get a great idea.

Dress Thor up like a girl and send him off in disguise.

Thor is all kinds of offended and refuses. Loki talks him into it though, and even dresses up as his maid. So off they go, in drag, to get married off.

They get there and have a big feast with the giants. Hilarity ensues as they dine, but eventually they give "Freya" the hammer as a wedding gift, whence Thor reveals himself and kills everyone.

Loki stood in the corner having a giggle fit.

Then Ragnarok happened and well all died.

Giraffe
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Once upon a time, possibly due to Loki, the frost giants got ahold of Thors hammer.

Thor woke up and discovered this. "Where the hell is my hammer?!" he stated loudly, releasing the odor of stale mead from his mouth.

That story was always my favourite one. If you google Up-Helly-Aa you will find that today's viking decendents peform an annual ritual that would have Loki in hysterics. It's all for good fun and the only spirits you will see in this ceremony are the ones in the hip flasks. There is speculation over the fact that it is a fire festival at the end of January but the important part is having a good time.

Giraffe
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
three of these people are dead, now can you guess which one's?

Who is the question for?

Astral Eye
06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Mine is Odin.I particularly enjoy that he is concerned with knowledge as well.That,and I believe that I respond to the fact that while Loki is the Trickster,there is some of that in Odin too,and his way of things is far closer to my ideal than loki.

I agree, but allso Loki. For me, Loki has two sides, mischief and chaos. Mischief is his good but cheeky side, shown when he helps the other gods of Asgard through his cunning. Chaos is his evil, mad side where he is cruel and devious.

Does anybody else feel the same way about Loki?

Giraffe
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
three of these people are dead, now can you guess which one's?

Why are you asking this question?

Cartoon Character
06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Because it's Iza. I'll see if I can guess....

Giraffe
06-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Ok, I will guess too.

Is it....

Y Ddraig Goch

Lady Dunsany

Odin?

Giraffe
06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Because there is a reason for every question i ask, and it was meant for one person and one person only, and that person is not you.

Thankyou for clearing that up. I couldn't remember if I had joined this forum before. I'm glad I gave the question a go but I think I shall leave this question to the correct person to answer.