PDA

View Full Version : Magickal Names

PlagueJester
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I've never seen this brought up anywhere outside of Wicca. Does anyone here have any opinions on taking on a "Magickal Name" for when one does rituals and communications with spirits/demons/angels?

PlagueJester
02-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I actually have already worked one out. I won't share it, because as insane as this might sound it feels personal to me. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of it was.

Gemnus32
02-28-2011, 01:06 AM
I actually have already worked one out. I won't share it, because as insane as this might sound it feels personal to me. I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of it was.

That isn't a crazy idea at all. Bear with me a minute, as it's a bit complex to explain. As a for example, nearly all of the Golden Dawn groups bestowed a name upon a full initiate of the group. This name was usually worked out between the to-be-initiate and his or her sponsor. The to-be-initiate would also choose a Latin motto.

An interesting example is Alleister Crowley, who initiated into a Golden Dawn group early on in his career. He chose a one word Latin motto as an initiate, which was, 'Perdurabo.' That is a very smart Latin choice that roughly translates as, 'I endure to the end.' I am not much of a student of Crowley, but the example is both interesting and brilliant.

I live and work as a solitary, so I do not have a group-related name. Early on in my studies, I picked a name, and later a Latin motto. My life and work has changed to a point where neither the name nor the motto apply today. If you're working alone, I would try to keep any such decisions to yourself as much as possible. (Now I sound crazy.) However, I also would look at revealing something like this as a time to re-evaluate, instead of, 'the end of the world.'

For myself, I have never been one to discuss my beliefs extensively with my personal friends. Some is that I'm just introverted by nature - some that we have little in common in terms of beliefs. However, after a bit too much sauce at a party one night, I told an old girlfriend from high school the whole whacko mess. The sky didn't fall, I spent some time thinking things over, and it was a sort of, 'turning point,' for me.

People in groups have different responsibilities, but the beauty (and the beast) of being a solitary is that a solitary works these kinds of problems out for themselves. Interesting question.

Ahrazura
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
To me my magickal name is VERY important.
It allows me to attach a point of reference to my subtle body when working in an arena which sees myself calling on the aid of the 'hidden mentor'. As such I can pay homage to the other-self by name and the two spheres of self may then become as one in thought, design and deed. In my opinion the especial name should only be reveled to them of trust and/or them of your covine/cuveen or coven.

Astral Eye
03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
A quote of a friend of mine, who sometimes goe's by the name of Silk.

"Names are like clothes. People with no secrets and nothing to hide have need of only one set of clothes and just one name. People with secrets however, must wear and even sometimes diguise themselves in different clothes and names."
and the old faithul
"names have power"

I have a couple of names I commonly use. Astral Eye, seen here, is but one.

devakxes
03-02-2011, 02:47 AM
I see that the personality has many sides, I know a lot of people who have many names for this reason. Taking on a magickal name may help you to get into the ritual mindset. However, a true magickal name is something that describes your essence... your spark of divinity... ''the daemon'' or ''holy guardian angel'' within you.... the higher self.

Names have power. Once you find your true name, don't give it to just anyone.

Ahrazura
03-02-2011, 11:20 PM
E-zads,
I take it you are talking about the esoteric names and prompts being given in the 'primal language before the birth of words' ?
If that be so then I tend to agree.
My own magickal name was given unto me by the 'flash' but not in words. I felt the vibratory presence of the gods while meditating and that vibratory flux came together to reveal something that meant a great deal to me and my praxis.

Best wishes,
Ahrazura

Astral Eye
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I bellieve that everyting has a true name. This, unlike languages today, doesn't mean somthing, it is that thing, the word describes the true nature of things. In this tongue you may not lie. Everyone has a name in this language. This name gives people complete controll over you, with magic or not. You'r birth name can allso be used aginst you, if used in the correct ritual. Taken names have no hold over you, but some have a deeper connection than others.

Mabiola
04-14-2011, 01:59 AM
for me, my magical name helps me to get in the "mood" when i am geting in to my magical work.
i dont think is a good idea to shere it. the egiptians thought that the gods had 2 names, one for every one to call them, and the real one, that gives power to the person who have it over the god. so was very hard work to find out the real names of the gods.
i feel that if my magical name is my REAL name, so i dont want any one to have it but my partner in magics. that is just one person worldwide ;)

KashakuTatsu
04-27-2011, 03:56 AM
I tried a few magical names before but they haven't really felt right, as neither does my legal name. But the one I use for rituals and dealing with my deities/guides was given to me by them. It feels much more me than created ones or my birth name, so I hold it sacred.

NTS
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I took mine from an unused character in a story that I had started writing a long time ago, but never took the time to finish. It was the Occult name of the would-be primary antagonist in the story, and I always had considered to be a powerfully resonant name. Years later when I was trying to formulate my own, I had stumbled upon the old notes, took the name, did the numbers on it and was quite pleased with what I had come up with, having known nothing of the relevance of numbers at the time. I have since adopted it as my own.

Strix Nebulosa
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
In my experience, a magickal name exists to create a kind of key in for whatever magick working you're about to do. It's like the keys to a specific car. As for me, I don't neccessarily use a magickal name for most things, but for major workings, I do have one. However, as someone said earlier, names have power, and giving a name out to somebody you aren't kosher with is just asking for trouble. That goes with all things, human and non-human alike

Cartoon Character
06-26-2011, 03:56 AM
I see that the personality has many sides, I know a lot of people who have many names for this reason. Taking on a magickal name may help you to get into the ritual mindset. However, a true magickal name is something that describes your essence... your spark of divinity... ''the daemon'' or ''holy guardian angel'' within you.... the higher self.

Names have power. Once you find your true name, don't give it to just anyone.

VERY true, particularly as it relates to not sharing this name with others. I did not pick mine (at least not in this "body"), and there is immense power connected to it, as it is related to the Yuan Shen or Original Spirit. It's usually a good idea to keep names of this type to yourself.

set bardo
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I found that a magickal name should reflect your cycle of choice. Say; you want to work with some deity; then the purpose of your choice of name is to become one with this name/code; thus you will become one with the deity at the end of the period. This period can reflect years, after which you choose something else while you are one major experience richer after you've defeated the "final boss".

Another reflection of the term "magickal name" can be contemplated if the image witholds a small operation or goal. For example; assume one wants to project astrally. This has to be coded. One can code this desire as "australian pro-actions". This may sound silly, but with enough imagination and visualisation of the derivative associations, one can trick the brain; your conscious self will focus on the meaningfull encrypted image while your brain knows what's going on behind the "scene/code" unconsciously.

If one is trained in this method; then a lot of "weird" links may become obvious. A whole text can be constructed in this way.

krimson
08-11-2011, 01:26 AM
I think everyone has a name that has been with them for longer than they realize. Whether or not this name becomes known to them depends on the person...I believe that those who seek it, will find it.

Mine is Akaucia (I can't even pronounce it correctly, much less spell it) But it became known to me through communicating with different entities. When they called me by that name, I KNEW they were truly addressing me. It felt amazing.

So for this reason, I have come to realize that not names can be translated into a concrete word. Not all communication can be transcribed into a human language. We are limited in this way, unless we learn to recognize these other forms of communication. That is another story though ;]

Jackal
10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Egyptian believed your true name made up part of your soul...
I don't give my true name to anyone(well I don't actually know it yet and don't plan too either), but I do use another name when online with strangers and at other times, called Sokkwi en Sabu (Foolish Jackal)