PDA

View Full Version : Ring Oath

Emrys Rezal
03-18-2011, 09:31 AM
I recently started upon the ancient Norse practice of swearing oaths over a ring, I was wondering if anybody had some ideas to share around the symbology of the ring/ring oath?

Ogrekid
10-09-2011, 07:03 PM
im not very familar, or familar at all really with this practice, could you tell me a bit more of what you know on the subject?

Shadow Weaver
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Well, after about 5 minutes of google-foo I've come up with several refrences in sagas to rings upon which oaths were sworn, so the practice was aparently there in the ancient world. so while I can't speak to it being "BS" it certainly dosen't seem to be "new age".

Honestly symbolism is one of those things that we'll never know for sure, was the circular shape important? The material? Was it mearly a symbol of the lords power? You'd probably have better luck with this question on a heathen specific board, and do some research of your own too. I would be interested in hearing what you find.

Astral Eye
11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
The ring, like an ourobas, is symbolic of eternity. It probably represents promising something for an eternity, and the ring on the finger would probably be symbolic of it staying with them. So swearing an oath on a ring probably shows that you promise to X forever, and you shall never forget it.

Ula
11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Look up the Norse god Ullr. You can find info on oath rings through him.