PDA

View Full Version : Shielding

Saeiane
01-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Also known as Warding, Circle Casting and making a Barrier is the act of protecting a space, via a circle of energy. Most practitioners cast the circle at it's equator. The way taught to Ward in common Wicca practices is envisioning a blue-white stream of energy coming from the tip of your fingers or tools (Fingers: pointer and middle held together Tools: Staff, Wand, Sword, Athame) and laying it on the ground. (commonly in a clockwise motion) Blue is one of the 3 strongest colors of protection (Blue, Red, & black) and White is the color of purity, and good for most all magickal practices. Other ways are to visualize yourself, and then visualize the circle into existence, this process gives more freedom, for example one could make the shield out of wings, feathers, shrubbery, even something as pure shadow or white light. When inside a circle common Wicca also states to move clockwise (deosil Original Irish spelling: deiseal) only. But while your tradition dictates the specifics of the practices, most follow these same routines. The purposes of a circle casting are many, from keeping the energies of a spell held within it until 'send off' to keeping out influences that would be destructive to your magick, to keeping harmful spirits out of an area.

The reason behind Circle Casting I'm covering here however is to Shield or Ward an area. A circle provides ample protection in most situations. But in my experience there is one common flaw: Deosil is the movement of cleansing, Counter-clockwise (Widdershins) however is the movement of protection. In common Wicca however it is considered the "negative" moment, or "Left handed Path" these are misconceptions stemming from the prosecution of Witchcraft that have been carried over into modern day Wicca. The simple fact is, the belief that there is any "Wrong" or "Right" way to practice Witchcraft, is untrue. There are only different ways.

The strongest protective circles I've ever cast have always been (and will always be) Bi-Polar Circles.
How to cast a Bi-Polar circle: First off, there are in fact. Two circles involved in this casting, the outer circle is cast and moves Widdershins, the second is the inner circle, which moves and is cast Deosil. These two circles compliment each other, moving one another together and thus generating more energy than a normal circle alone. I have never cast a bi-polar circle that has been penetrated. I can't say that for normal circles I've cast.

1. Cast the outer circle first, by moving counter-clockwise while visualizing a crystalline shadowy energy lay on the ground.

2. Cast the inner circle second, moving clockwise while picturing a crystalline white energy lay on the ground.

3. Get the feel for these circles and "Bookmark" it in your mind.

4. Close both circles and refocus, call up the memory of the energies and simultaneously cast the outer and inner circles. Visualize them moving against each other the movement generating protective energy.

Steps 1-3 are practice phases to get the feel for the circles. The fourth step is the proper way to cast a bi-polar circle. It can be hard to cast both circles at once, but practice will ease the transition.
Shielding is one of the best protective practices I've learned and can be used for a multitude of purposes.

S33k3R
01-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Now there's a cool concept...

I like the whole idea of two opposing forces working together to create something greater than the sum of the parts...I've long been a practitioner of the physical arts and this appeals to the yin/yang concept employed in Tai-Chi and other arts...to great effect.

Nice one...thanks.

isis
01-22-2009, 05:59 AM
cool... i like it... iam going to try it..

zoomare
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
The beginner in me is asking, "Alright, but how the hell do I cast a circle?"

Lady Dunsany
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
This is one thing that can apply to many different concepts. Circles are casts in many different ways. Perhaps Saeiane can explain what kind of circle he casts and how to cast it. We have beginners here who do not know. A simple way to shield is think of a white light around your whole body as if you are encased in an egg, sort of like putting on a flak jacket.
I would post how to cast a circle but I feel since this is Saeine's thread he should do so.

Saeiane
01-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Ah, my apologies. I got caught up a bit.

Alright. To cast a circle, stand facing north (When in doubt of the direction, just go to the front of the room or your best guess) and hold out your projecting hand (also known as the dominate hand, the same hand as the one you write with.) and imagine a colored light at the tip of your fingers (middle and pointer) and as you move your hand, visualize (the term visualize sometimes confuses people or makes it sound complicated. Imagining is the same as visualizing) the colored light laying down on the ground, sometimes it helps to have a physical marking line (chalk, salt, brick dust, anything can do. Even a small dug in line)

continue in the circular motion until you've reached where you've begun. And you've cast a circle.
Don't be concerned if you don't have the full range of motion (for instance if a dresser or other object obstructs your hand) just move it back and imagine the light going to the floor under the object.

Cheers, feel free to ask any further questions [:

idiot-2009
01-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Is it advantageous to recite a spell during casting? Does it add the strength of the shield?
Also when casting, is it neccessary to "just" visualize on the crystaline colored light or can one focus on the intensity of that light? Will this add to the strength of the shield?
Is this method used in white,grey, black magics?

Saeiane
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Is it advantageous to recite a spell during casting? Does it add the strength of the shield?
Also when casting, is it neccessary to "just" visualize on the crystaline colored light or can one focus on the intensity of that light? Will this add to the strength of the shield?
Is this method used in white,grey, black magics?

Very good questions my friend. You'll find during your occult studies that more often than not, a magickian will use their own methods, for example. I focus on the shield and the energy it generates, but at times I will recite a vocal incantation for protection (there are quite a few I enjoy that work well for me)
My style of magickal practice I use vivid visualization coupled with the power of words. Because to me, words and names hold absolute power. I used to focus very much on low magick, then astral projection and the astral world. I studied the creatures and energies I found there with a thorough hand. While doing this I broadened my view of other magickal practices, pulling together different theories and mythos to create my personal form and style.

It is a journey of self-exploration and self-mastery. But, to answer the base of your question. You can add energy to a spell in many ways, the use of focal points (items used to focus energy) or magickal wording (chants, incantations, evocations) even to something as elementary as tying a knot (I made a wonderful bracelet not too long ago, black denim from my jeans, 9 knots tied in while focusing on a wish of protection) as well as colors, or simply an affirmation of the spells power.

As for the black, white and gray magicks. I do not know. I've never used those terms in the way they were meant- and I find them obsolete.

I hope this has helped.

Lady Dunsany
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
As for the black, white and gray magicks. I do not know. I've never used those terms in the way they were meant- and I find them obsolete.

Obsolete for the old timers but important at this juncture for beginners as a way to differentiate and teach.

Saeiane
01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Actually, from what I know. These terms are no longer generally accepted in the occult community. Though I do remember reading a very comprehensive essay on the subject while I was researching Chaos Magick not long ago- I'll see if I can find it.

Mind you, and this may shock you. I've only been studying the occult for... 6 years or so, I started when I was 10. (I have a lot of free time and a will to learn lol) So I'm not exactly sure how useful these terms are, they are good when starting out though yes, I agree there.

Bokeh
02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm personally becoming quite frustrated by my issues with shielding / defence (or apparent lack thereof). In meditation I react from fear all too often, causing me to either "see" nothing, or instantly make horrifying images / creatures out of the specks behind my eyes - to the point where I would prefer not to see anything, and it goes back to simply specks. E.g. meditating in my bed last night before sleep, I saw a demon (for lack of a better term). This was after creating a circle. He wasn't entirely vivid, and went away after a number of tracings of a banishing pentagram, but it was still annoying.

In dreams I have the guts to face anything, but in waking practice I'm either guarding myself from terrible images - by involuntarily blocking my sight - or (occasionally) facing them in impartial study of their features - ie relaxing my fears and allowing them to be there in front of me. It would be nice to see some positive imagery one day...

I put this down to an over-active imagination (which is otherwise an advantage in my work, as you might expect) while instinctively expecting the worst - in other words fear. Either that, or I'm consistently attracting a lot of scary stuff without asking for it. Or both, given my environment and my mind are two sides to the same coin when speaking in a magickal context.

Perhaps I need to get serious about self-defence / shielding so I can relax and get on with the good stuff. Another option is some healing to soothe my own aggression etc - which will hopefully be reflected in the visions I project onto the speckles behind my eyes.

Any suggestions or alternative approaches?

Saeiane
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm personally becoming quite frustrated by my issues with shielding / defence (or apparent lack thereof). In meditation I react from fear all too often, causing me to either "see" nothing, or instantly make horrifying images / creatures out of the specks behind my eyes - to the point where I would prefer not to see anything, and it goes back to simply specks. E.g. meditating in my bed last night before sleep, I saw a demon (for lack of a better term). This was after creating a circle. He wasn't entirely vivid, and went away after a number of tracings of a banishing pentagram, but it was still annoying.

In dreams I have the guts to face anything, but in waking practice I'm either guarding myself from terrible images - by involuntarily blocking my sight - or (occasionally) facing them in impartial study of their features - ie relaxing my fears and allowing them to be there in front of me. It would be nice to see some positive imagery one day...

I put this down to an over-active imagination (which is otherwise an advantage in my work, as you might expect) while instinctively expecting the worst - in other words fear. Either that, or I'm consistently attracting a lot of scary stuff without asking for it. Or both, given my environment and my mind are two sides to the same coin when speaking in a magickal context.

Perhaps I need to get serious about self-defence / shielding so I can relax and get on with the good stuff. Another option is some healing to soothe my own aggression etc - which will hopefully be reflected in the visions I project onto the speckles behind my eyes.

Any suggestions or alternative approaches?

I would imagine it is one of two things, a spiritual or mental cause, Spiritual. You're not cleansing before you cast a protection circle and keep meditating in the same spot. These visions in your mind thus cause thoughtforms of the creatures that re-occur. Mental, your mind is trying to fight the sensation of quieting by shocking you with dark images, to get it back into activity. Same way it sends thoughts to your head when you try to sleep.

Either way, I recommend these two options (both of them) cleansing the area before you sleep, ways to do this would be A, mix up some holy water (add salt to tap water, say a prayer over it) and lightly asperge the area where you meditate. Secondly, before you meditate, picture a relaxing blue light at your feet, tighten them, count to three. Then let the light move upward to your calves, then thighs, then hips, then stomach, chest, upper arms, lower arms, hands, neck, and finally. Head. Each time tensing them for 3 seconds before releasing the pressure and letting the light move upwards. Then focus on your breathing and start to meditate. Just let everything wash over you. It's one of the best ways I've found to meditate.

controlledchaos
06-07-2010, 03:11 AM
I say cleanse your self and ask your higher self to help you out in dealing wit the fear. be patient and keep it up.Practice shields and swords, do not be afraid to experiment. And rememeber fear is an illusion,but eventually you have to face it.

crystalw
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
This is an old post I know, but I just wanted to thank the original poster for a wonderful introduction to shielding. There was some new stuff in there that I hadn't considered before, so I will try out some new things later today. :)

NightPanther
10-18-2010, 01:28 AM
The counter and clockwise circles/shield that the thread starter mentioned is much like the ascensionists merkaba work, in which a star of david light body has two counter rotating planes or triangles for interdimensional work. Very interesting.

teeGee
10-18-2010, 12:50 PM
i wonder where does the energy come from to make these shields, and what sustains it. I consider it may be fed partly from the person who produces energy and directs it by their intention to the shield to replenish it as itr is used up by wear and tear of circumstance, and the other part of the energy comes from an iconic thoughtform concentrate in the astral light called 'Sheilds.'
Also i think it can be interesting to think of the blue sky around the whole of the world and several miles thick that protects us from meteorites and dying in the vacuum of space because it is a powerful example of the action of shilding.
One other thing is that the energy fields ie aura around the body is sort of an elongated ball so the coating of energy can be imagined applied directly and specifically to entirely enclose the aura to protect you.

NightPanther
10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
It is part of your astral body so although a person initiates it.....the interface is with limitless energy grid, you never want to draw from
your energy really when doing majic because it will burn out, whereas elements, earth, aarchetypal energy is a larger source...