PDA

View Full Version : How about Franz?

Kuganthrope
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Greetings,

What do you think of Franz Bardon's work? Would you reccomend any of his books to an ''uninitiated'' person?
Thanks for your attention, and pardon me if I happen to be ignorant of any relevant posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady Dunsany
01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
I confess I have not read any of his works, I have looked at them. they seem to cover a variety and are supposed to be geared towards ones who are on their own. I am sure there is ones here who have read and utilized his written word.

Kuganthrope
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
I see Lady D. Anyways, some of his works that I am aware of are ''Initiation Into Hermetics'', ''Magical Evocation'', ''The Key to the True Quabbalah''. So I might try as well to gain one of these books...

Lady Dunsany
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I think Initiation into Hermetics would probably be a good way to start. I looked at it online, they have the whole book there and it seems to cover quite a bit. http://www.rexresearch.com
It seems they have his book there if you do not want to buy it.

Kuganthrope
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, I already had an older pdf of initiation into hermetics and one of evocation (found on net), but it was full of grammatical and spelling mistakes so I feared it was non credible.

Lady Dunsany
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
This is a problem as unfortunately these errors seem to be more of the norm. I have a translation of an old book and it is missing important parts. Even one of Israel Regardie's books have errors. Perhaps you would be better off purchasing the book after all.

arkham
01-22-2009, 07:42 PM
this is my main area of study.

I would recommend his books to anyone interested in Hermetics, they are a great read.

I would recommend reading a variety of sources also tho, as more viewpoints on things only lead to higher knowledge which is a great advantage.

http://www.abardoncompanion.com/

Lady Dunsany
01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Thank You. I knew one of our members would know.

redhand
01-23-2009, 12:14 AM
When I was 13 I was introduced to Hermetics through Initiation Into Hermetics by my grandmother. I think this was a test in more ways than one as it is a tough book even for adults to work through. But, I have to say I learned a lot, not just about hermetics but, about myself. I finished it in 9 months.

There are errors but, this is a great place to start the serious study of Hermetics and Magic for anyone of any path!

Johanna
01-23-2009, 01:17 PM
I would suggest you really make a committment to follow thru if you start Initiation Into Hermetics, at some point I may start again, I got stuck on the dark mirror get depressed and put it aside.

Kuganthrope
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok, thanks a lot everyone, I'll see to it.

*Edited* Check out Balpheron's post on Occult training Grounds --> Books --> wow?!. I found out that among maaaany other stuff, this torrent includes Franz Bardon's work.

bakeneko
02-09-2009, 08:07 AM
My 2 cents: His books are great. Not sure about the English translation but in German they are haha.
One just need to be aware that he did dictate them under quite a bit of stress and had no real chance to revise anything. Some formulations are a bit problematic therefore and need a student who still keeps his brain running (note: never try to get thoughts out of your head by force; for most humans this simply does not work).
And as this was mentioned before: If you have problems with the dark mirror (like frustration or outright depression), do the light mirror too at the same time to balance your mood out a bit (still stay realistic though).

xervans
02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
When I started in the occult, the first thing I read (after some fairly unrelated books such as the S.B. & others) was Bardon's IIH. It's a great book if you don't have a teacher, and was written within the last half-century so you won't have to go decoding the jargon like you do with Agrippa.