PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Associate With Other People?

S0urceror
07-16-2011, 12:31 AM
It can be great to hit it off over your spirituality, but the venues are few and fleeting. Is your spirituality something you advertise, or is it a part of you that you are sure to keep a secret? You can very well throw each other off.

KashakuTatsu
07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Half and half, I keep what I need to a secret, but when people inquire about the tattoos I'll tell them briefly what they symbolize. I've found it best not to go about spouting spirituality randomly to people unless it's asked or pertinent to a conversation.

RÊVE
07-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Associating with others is often a calculated risk. Information is best provided on a need to know basis.

Drunk
07-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't speak about it....at all. I live in the frickin' bible belt, so I am surrounded by people who wouldn't understand my path. I have tried being a bit more open, but gave up when people at work said I worship the devil and will go to hell (very soon after getting fired). So, I keep myself to myself. And I have to say, I'm pretty good company, :).

Cartoon Character
07-16-2011, 08:31 PM
It usually doesn't need to come up in my case, but when it does, I'm usually able to talk about the "philosophy", as that's what most people in the West view it as anyway.

MiaVenezia
07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't speak about it....at all. I live in the frickin' bible belt, so I am surrounded by people who wouldn't understand my path. I have tried being a bit more open, but gave up when people at work said I worship the devil and will go to hell (very soon after getting fired). So, I keep myself to myself. And I have to say, I'm pretty good company, :).

Yikes! Unless you worked at umm a church, that's outrageous...and if you think you got fired for your religious beliefs, you could probably take it to court (if you wanted to).

Drunk
07-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Yikes! Unless you worked at umm a church, that's outrageous...and if you think you got fired for your religious beliefs, you could probably take it to court (if you wanted to).

Nah, I've never been 'fired' so far...just 'chastised' and chewed out. Nothing serious. Threatened, not fired, at this point. I feel very confident and so, there's no need to chase and worry about people who are just deluded, you know what I mean? Not worth the existential hassle, lol.

set bardo
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
It usually doesn't need to come up in my case, but when it does, I'm usually able to talk about the "philosophy", as that's what most people in the West view it as anyway.

You'll be amazed if you realize what philosophy can do. Of course there are a lot of philosophies or "isms" around and good philosophy is based on a certain kind of logic. If one equates philosophy with linguistics, then one will find a semantic web, intended to illuminate or catch or expand the observer's attention and if the philosophy had effect on this observer, then this observer will surely act and pass the "understanding" he/she gained on because focus/locus exists, albeit a bit mutated or distorted, depending on the host's (observer) replicating skills. Also; "to understand" is not the way of the xiaolin network. Grasping truth is; to let the qi flow, not to replicate in function of ideological and conscious intellectualisms, but i am willing to believe in the quotation marks you used.

Spirituality on the other side; It is power, but real power is invisible, so secrecy is a must once one begins to "expand". Power of course; It has a thousand faces; artificial power, stealth power, horse-stance power etc... , but true power is in-visible; one cannot talk about it. If one chooses to do so, then one will be punished by the head of one's hierarchy; spiritually. Thus one has to be silent or cryptological at least (instead of philosophical) if and only if the power source is one hell of a source, if you know what i mean.

krimson
08-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Personally, I don't broadcast it. I've come to find that being straight forward about this kind of thing is more trouble than it's worth.

I'm a very direct person, and quite honestly I lack that mental filter between my thoughts and the words coming out of my mouth. So being discrete about my beliefs/practices has been a challenge for me. But, you do what you have to do I suppose.

If someone lives in a big/liberal city, they could probably get away with being more open about it. Professionally speaking is a different story however. What if their church-going boss finds out they practice witchcraft? Study the occult? It might be ok, but the risk is present...

Just food for thought.