PDA

View Full Version : Demonology & General Myth. - Recommendations

Saeiane
01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
These three books have been great helps with my studies of Demonology and Mythology. I've referenced, quoted and read them hundreds of times during the time I've had them [: so enjoy

First off under the subject of Demonology, A Field Guide to Demons, fairies, fallen angels and other subversive spirits by Carol K. Mack and Dinah Mack. A basic introduction to demons, fairies, fallen angels including how to identify common demons and fairies as well as an in-depth introduction. There is also a listing of demons based on place of origin. Water, Mountain, Forest, Desert, Domicile and Psyche are all included. Some with illustrations, but all with basic descriptions, lore and 'dispelling techniques' that will keep you held in your seat for quite some time.

Next up on my list is A Witch's Guide to Faery Folk. by Edain McCoy A wonderful, comprehensive guide all about the Wee Folk, including a DICTIONARY of Fairies! How to contact them and invite them to lend their powers to your rituals. How to create an elemental familiar to help with your day-to-day witchery and a guided meditation into the land of the Fae. This is a must-have for all witches who've always had a deep admiration for the little people.

Last but (definitely) not least is .. The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures at first sight this book will impress and astound you with the beautiful cover art and the sheer size of the book. It reads like an old-world grimoire of mythological animals. Presented in a modern fashion. The book includes everything from Kokopeli to the anthropomorphic pantheon of Egyptian Gods. In an A to Z platform, you WILL reference this book dozens of times in the first six months you have it. Every time I've opened this book I've either found exactly the information I needed, or learned something new about mythology.

I personally stand by each of these books and every page inside them, you've got my word that these books will be vital in your pursuit of knowledge.

Veneficus_V
01-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Sounds interesting, i will certainly pick them up :) you can never have to many books ;)

isis
01-24-2009, 03:50 AM
cool i will check them out

Manbearpig
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Also, can't recommend "The Book of Solomon's Magick" by Carroll "Poke" Runyon enough.

Lady Dunsany
02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
They sound wonderful. I have been meaning to check out Edain McCoy. I am of course partial to R J Stewart for the Fae, but I was told Edain McCoy's books are worth a read. Thanks for sharing.

Harlock
02-01-2009, 09:08 PM
i have a few sites that are worth a gander

Hierarchy of Hell (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/vault/9327/demonology1.html)

The Occult - Occultopedia: The Occult and Unexplained Encyclopedia (http://www.occultopedia.com/occult.htm)

i have more saved somewhere probally in my email ill track them down, and if you are planning to go out into the field and take on demons, A go through lots of training, B come prepared for anything and everything, and C bring info, and collect info before heading into battle with it.

isis
02-01-2009, 09:33 PM
i will chack those out too thanks harlock...

Saeiane
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
You're forgetting A
NEVER go alone.
Always have someone in case one of you needs to be carried out.

And thank you! I'd forgotten all about Occultopedia! :D

redhand
02-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm not that crazy about Edain McCoy's work, and no I'm not a Hatfield!LOL The 3 fold law stuff makes no sense as anyone who understand Karma, this is not how it works.In her tradition this law relates to the use of power and energy, for when used, power is returned to the sender, three times the level it was sent out. However she is quite a cute witch!LOL ^^

R J Steward, Frank MacEowen, and even some of J & C Matthews works seem to point to the Fae and Sidhe tradition with a truer point of understanding than hers do.

I would recommend Earth Light, Power Within The Land and Underworld Initiation by R J Stewart.

Demonology, A Field Guide to Demons, fairies, fallen angels and other subversive spirits by Carol K. Mack and Dinah Mack. This one is interesting and can be accessible and well organised. The demons, fairies and other mythical beings featured in this book were taken from the legends and folklore of several cultures and they are grouped according to their place of residence: water, mountain, forest, desert, domicile and psyche. Each chapter includes a short description of the creature's appearance, habits and preferences; one of two stories of encounters with it; and a section on disarming and dispelling techniques. But its more of a history lesson on the very basic entities out there, NOT a true "guide" it covers the "best" known, but does not venture into the beings that are older and possibly, more "subversive". It doesn't even mention much of what has been attributed to Ireland (Well I'm Irish so,... LOL).

Lady Dunsany
02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Thank You redhand for pointing this out and giving your opinion. I have trusted R J Stewart's books and methods because they work. I think perhaps I will continue with what I have learned from his works for now. If it ain't broke , don't fix it. LOL.

Saeiane
02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Very well said Redhand, I agree. McCoy is too "fluffy wicca" for me, but her basic workings (taking away the morals and ethical codec) are fairly useful procedures in my opinion [: and the dictionary of fairies was enough reason for me to get the book.

One of the better uses I got out the field guide was inspiration ( for example I wrote a sort of mythological heroic poem entitled The Windigo, using the lore presented in the book as groundwork ) although not a guide in (m)any respect(s) ( lol ) it's an interesting book for someone looking to widen their scope of lore, mythology.

But since information on demonology is scant (As far as my eyes have seen) I felt it should be added. Considering some of the psychological aspects as well as the history would help when researching a case.

Again, thank you for your thoughts!

Harlock
02-04-2009, 08:45 PM
You're forgetting A
NEVER go alone.
Always have someone in case one of you needs to be carried out.

And thank you! I'd forgotten all about Occultopedia! :D

np and thank you for pointing that one out, i usually consider that a go figure, i guess I am just too used to fighting now...

007m
02-04-2009, 09:05 PM
well,when i'l have time,i will post a pack of 1.2gb of demonology and occult books :)

Saeiane
02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
np and thank you for pointing that one out, i usually consider that a go figure, i guess I am just too used to fighting now...

Aye. Back home my friends cousin and her family were being plagued by a Disease Demon who called himself Haha, as I was doing the reading on this being for them, it opened up a portal through my tarot cards- which was a first for me. I sealed him out as fast as I could, and because my mother was present when they mentioned this being, and doesn't know half of my capabilities, she was reluctant to allow me to take it on myself.

The next day I came down with a cold that lasted three days and kept me under until we had to move. So to put it another way "Even Hercules brought someone along to help take down Hydra" hahaha!

Though to show the other side of the coin...
I also once ran into one hell of an annoyance who claimed himself to be the god Chemosh...
I ate him. ( not in actuality, it's more of a joke because he always talked about eating the things he'd fight. But I kicked his ass)

And 007, I for one would be incredibly thankful if you did so, haha.

Harlock
02-05-2009, 01:58 AM
I live near a hellmouth so i get all sorts of wonderful treats, including once what i only know as "Lucifers shadows" sort of its reflections if you will. and if you kill that one, it manages to come back later stronger....yeah that was a interesting first meet.