PDA

View Full Version : Magickal Circle

aaron556
10-26-2011, 06:38 PM
So I was browsing some forums and I saw this photo of what a guy called his "Circle", it was a big piece of paper with solomonic symbols painted on it.

He said he did his Magick in it, so is this a replacement for casting a traditional circle?

And if so, is there another name for this? I'd like to make one myself as I have busy days and this could shorten some of the things I do to prepare for rituals.

Thanks.

aaron556
10-26-2011, 08:00 PM
I only have knowledge of what you would call Low Magick and tiny bit of what people called High Magick.

I'm waiting for Self-Initiation Into the Golden Dawn Tradition to learn more of the ritualistic flavor of Magick.

Drunk
10-26-2011, 09:58 PM
So I was browsing some forums and I saw this photo of what a guy called his "Circle", it was a big piece of paper with solomonic symbols painted on it.

He said he did his Magick in it, so is this a replacement for casting a traditional circle?

And if so, is there another name for this? I'd like to make one myself as I have busy days and this could shorten some of the things I do to prepare for rituals.

Thanks.

I practice so-called "low magic" myself and have never heard of a circle cast on a piece of paper. My trad called it 'compassing' or a rose compass. And when used (rarely) it was actually drawn on the ground in flour, salt about 6' to 9' in diameter. Not sure what this piece of paper is, sounds 'sigil-like' to me however. Either that, or maybe he is just showing an example of how his circle looks when actually drawn out full-size.

Not sure if that helps you at all, but at least it may offer another viewpoint on 'circle' casting. I'm afraid ceremonial or 'high' magic isn't my thing. :)

aaron556
10-27-2011, 03:44 AM
I practice so-called "low magic" myself and have never heard of a circle cast on a piece of paper. My trad called it 'compassing' or a rose compass. And when used (rarely) it was actually drawn on the ground in flour, salt about 6' to 9' in diameter. Not sure what this piece of paper is, sounds 'sigil-like' to me however. Either that, or maybe he is just showing an example of how his circle looks when actually drawn out full-size.

Not sure if that helps you at all, but at least it may offer another viewpoint on 'circle' casting. I'm afraid ceremonial or 'high' magic isn't my thing. :)

I found out what it was, I found a copy of the Key of Solomon and it was in the 3rd chapter, it works the same as what Wiccans and Pagans cast though using the power of Adonai (God) to protect.

Drunk
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Good...glad you found what you were looking for. :)

AlchemicEnchanter
10-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I found out what it was, I found a copy of the Key of Solomon and it was in the 3rd chapter, it works the same as what Wiccans and Pagans cast though using the power of Adonai (God) to protect.

:D That's the one I regularly use! :D Though normally I chalk it out on the floorboards of my hideout. (kinda like a shack back in the woods where no one can see me. A perfect place for magic. :P)

Jackal
10-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I chalk mine out in the garden....No room eslewhere

zero
10-29-2011, 08:15 PM
it would be better if it was cloth of some kind, but what is really great about it is that it is mobile like a Muslim prayer rug. a paper one is good for the house or room that you don't want to draw on. there are some that cast theres astrally which is even better, but the physical one is easier to begin with.

Jackal
10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Hmmm.....

Zero that is an excellent Idea, I've never thought of a cloth one that can be brought around with me!

BalanceDragon
12-29-2011, 06:14 PM

That's the odd thing out here. Adonai is a Judeo-Christain name of God for use in Judeo-Christian magic, It is NOT pagan in even the remotest sense. Gardner dragged that in when he began working the processes of what would be wicca out. If working pagan magic, why not call upon a pagan god like Cernunos????? If the objective is pagan magic, then the circle should be ELIPTICAL, not round. This is because their circles and the stones that defined it's borders, were used to track the progression of the planets and stars used within their ceremonies. If you go to the UK, France, or other ancient celt countries, you will find them.. large eliptical stone circles, with markings on the ground or on the stones that they used as I have mentioned. I encourage all with interst in pagansim to go. It's worth the $700 round trip ticket.

As far as magical circles on paper.. I have seen this, and problems can occur during ceremony.. take for instance a tear in the paper through the border of the protective circle... not something you would want to happen when calling forth an unruly spirit. I have seen this on clothe as well, with very good results. I drew one on muslin for a woman once who wanted to do the Ceremony of the Nine. I was amazed at the size of cloth she was able to get. Make sure you stake the cloth out tightly before you trace your design. I have used chalk as well, both with chalk sticks on floors and with powdered chalk outside on turf. I'm old school like that, and started out with chalk. or a few times graveyard dirt (not my idea). Good luck with it anyway, and let us know how things turned out :)

BalanceDragon
01-03-2012, 03:47 AM
I spoke with another researcher on matters of ceremonial magic and she said that felt or hemp are the best cloth for drawing circles on, and have some historical merit for such uses.