PDA

View Full Version : Necronomicon and Lovecraft stories?

Elelem
02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
There is so many random copies of the Necronomicon on amazon etc

Does anyone know the most "true" and orignal version that I should read?
And on amazon they list a lot of lovecraft book compilations
does anyone know which one I should get ?

Thanks ahead of time!

bakeneko
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Not sure about "most true", but I have the "H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus" books (3 in all I think) and they cover basically all material Lovecraft finished by himself (some stories were collaborations from the start or finished after his death from fragments).

Lady Dunsany
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
There is so many random copies of the Necronomicon on amazon etc

Does anyone know the most "true" and orignal version that I should read?
And on amazon they list a lot of lovecraft book compilations
does anyone know which one I should get ?

Thanks ahead of time!

Go to wrigglywarlocks intro where I explain that there is no true version because the Necromancien is a work of fiction. There is no true or original out there, Lovecraft made it up, as L Sprague De Camp who was his friend made his works up. The book was so believable that people have used it in their ritual work but it is fiction.

Elelem
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Go to wrigglywarlocks intro where I explain that there is no true version because the Necromancien is a work of fiction. There is no true or original out there, Lovecraft made it up, as L Sprague De Camp who was his friend made his works up. The book was so believable that people have used it in their ritual work but it is fiction.

I realize this ...I was just looking for "Lovecrafts" version of it.

I know there is a somewhat popular paperback on Amazon
by the author called "simon" for the Necronomicon.

Y Ddraig Goch
02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
ok... maybe i shouldnt be telling this but here it goes... originally the Necronomicon as we all know dates from ancient Babylon. dont really know how the name Necronomicon came up but i know that the original name was
Seven tales of the Seven Summoners. it was originally written on the backs of the seven mages by their apprentices, and after the death of the mages they donated their back skin. so the necronomicon was born. as the time passed that 1 teaching of summoning in the original necronomicon was divided in 7 different teachings. as time passed they became more and more distant to each other. many generations of mages have been and died till the time of Albdul Al-Hazred, who was a student of one of those teachings. he gathered as much knowledge he could from all the 7 teachings, and wrote the necronomicon, tho it was never published (i am not sure about this), many manuscripts of it appeared thru the centuries, some of them fiction some of them close to reality. crowley was doing research on this manuscripts, and it that time he was the lover of (forgot the name of the woman), who later married Lovencraft. so my guess is that she told H.P. about crowley's research and he wrote the necronomicon, which i think is pretty much of a fiction. so if you are looking for the real Necronomicon i am not sure you can find it anywhere. officialy as a book the real Necronomicon doesnt exit. tho i have heard that a relevant copy of the original one was on private auction by Sotheby's several years ago... i dont say this is 100% relevant information, its what i have learned so far. dont get my word for granted.

Elelem
02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I might just go ahead with the simon one then.
I should of addded then I want to read this just for fictional purposes!

But no one knows the best love craft compilation to buy err read for the most part?

Thanks for all of the great and in depth replies.

Lady Dunsany
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
You know who might know redhand. You can pm and ask him, if anyone would know it would be him.

yanatsu_petoryushu
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
actually i tried stuff from the simon necronomicon and it really works...i don't care who wrote it, it works for me

Harlock
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
you might have to try online for lovecraft, go to borders or barnes and nobles, they tend to have a nack for finding what you want,

Fr_CV
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Ashnook, who has worked the Nec for alot of time swears by the Simon version.

Fr_CV
02-09-2009, 09:36 PM
actually i tried stuff from the simon necronomicon and it really works...i don't care who wrote it, it works for me

I sure hope you're advanced because a simple LBRP does not banish Nec. spirits.

WiggyWarlock
02-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Some very interesting replies and a few bits that were new to me especially the bits about the skin form the mages :eek:

A lot of people swear by the simon necro, check out the following for a good in-depth analysis:-

http://warlockasylum.wordpress.com/

Aquino (Temple of Set) preferred the other version (Wilson & someone else can't remember who) even though it was an obvious hoax.

Donald Tyson has come up with a new version based on the mythos as per Lovecraft but drawing on Enochian to fill out the gaps to create a system of Ritual Magick based on the old ones. Check out "Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred", "Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon" & "Grimoire of the Necronomicon".

I have compiled some resources on the other necros and related info (i.e. non Tyson ones) and these can be found at:-

http://www.4shared.com/dir/12512890/c3369b5f/Necronomicon.html

Nothing beats owning a book so if you are drawn to a specific one go buy it :D

Lady Dunsany
02-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I was going to go into this but there is no need Vir Sapiens has said what needs to be said.
Sigh.

Topher
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
This has probably been said but at this point the Simonomicon has taken on a life all it's own and the entities that associate with it cannot be banished by most of the popular banishing rituals, LBRP. From hoax to valid paradigm the Simonomicon has carved it's little niche out of reality and does work but I find it just too hairy to work with personally. The one and only time I invoked from it the ritual worked fine it took me three months of experimentation to find a banishing ritual that worked.

I won't share it because I'm a firm believer that if you're going to do something foolish you should have to suffer the consequences to remind you not to do that particular foolish thing again. I learned I'll only work with the Simonomicon entities at someone else's behest now.

I think it's interesting that if you get enough people to believe in something the author himself called fictional that things still can be summoned. Kinda scary too. What power lurks in our minds.

Lady Dunsany
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
You are right if you believe in something strongly enough you can make things happen.

Kouya
02-14-2009, 11:18 AM
This has probably been said but at this point the Simonomicon has taken on a life all it's own and the entities that associate with it cannot be banished by most of the popular banishing rituals, LBRP. From hoax to valid paradigm the Simonomicon has carved it's little niche out of reality and does work but I find it just too hairy to work with personally. The one and only time I invoked from it the ritual worked fine it took me three months of experimentation to find a banishing ritual that worked.

I won't share it because I'm a firm believer that if you're going to do something foolish you should have to suffer the consequences to remind you not to do that particular foolish thing again. I learned I'll only work with the Simonomicon entities at someone else's behest now.

There is one funny part about the Simon Neco... probably for all neco versions is how it seems to add a form of distortion taint to an area. I've not seen any use for the rituals since its all long winded and troublesome anyway but the 'energy' of the Neco seems somewhat 'rotten' somehow, in the sense of its persistence taint if you don't do anything about it. So far i've only spoken with the entities directly, and the 'rot' of the energy to me maybe seems to be in some way more 'toxic and sticky' than say decomposing as 'rot' may initially imply.

Almost like giving an area an injection of necronomicon style energy is rendering the place into some to make humans susceptible to various kinds of 'insanity.' As much as applicable...

I think it's interesting that if you get enough people to believe in something the author himself called fictional that things still can be summoned. Kinda scary too. What power lurks in our minds.

Its crappy i say! Crappy!

ZeldaFitz
01-20-2010, 10:24 PM

I was talking to a friend the other day, and stated I could take Alice in Wonderland, and create a whole ritual from it, any one who is intelligent and advanced will look at this as silly and nothing more.

Shadow Weaver
01-21-2010, 01:27 AM
I could take Alice in Wonderland, and create a whole ritual from it
Jabberwoky is a great base for that, and an excelent entity in it's own right (by now anyway).

On the Necronomicon.

As most if not all of Lovecraft’s stories started out in his nightmares the concepts for most of the entities he describes already have some power behind them, if they didn't exist independently already, so even if you don't go with the Simon nec you could probably summon/communicate with them anyway (if you really wanted to...).