PDA

View Full Version : meditation vs yoga?difference?

jigsaw
02-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm just wondering what the difference is between meditation and yoga. I'm studying a raja yoga book right now and the basic of this type of yoga is sitting up straight and breathing. I haven't gotten that far yet, but the goal of Raja yoga is to be able to have your entire body under control. It's really interesting so far. But now I'm wondering what the difference between meditation and yoga is?

redhand
02-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Meditation is a part of yoga, which deals with mental relaxation and concentration. Here, attention is focused on thoughts and breath. Being aware of breathing automatically controls the thought process and thus relaxes mind completely. Yoga promotes the unison of body and mind and envisages wellness of human beings both physical, mental and spiritual.

zero
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
meditation is mind centered yoga is body centered, they are both silencing there respective realms. the silencing of earthly realms brings influences of others...

magickaldeadname
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
As said upon. Yoga is complementary to Meditation, both are amplifier of body's powers. You can explore deep, in later day, asana etc. for your body's health etc. But it is complementary to practice also Meditation.

Ex. Imagine as well something and keep it on mind, if other thoughts grows up in the mind, delete him. You must concetrate on this one you choose. If you can attain an elevate grade on this, you can make much and more. This is one practice of the infinite world of Meditation. But I won't be so minded to explain than a good book on the arguments.

devakxes
03-25-2011, 04:11 AM
meditation is mind centered yoga is body centered, they are both silencing there respective realms. the silencing of earthly realms brings influences of others...

That is pretty much on target. However, the ''higher'' forms of yoga (such as Samadi) are used for more spiritual/mental purposes. As are higher forms of meditation (such as silencing the mind and focusing on one's deity).

Keurigura Tharman
10-07-2011, 05:58 PM
If you want to open up your chakras, waken your kundalini, attain Samadhi, then yes, meditation is central. But there's even more: meditation is a central part of yoga, because it is the journey of finding the self, and the divinity within one self. All of the original 24 postures are actually stances for meditation, and physical benefit is really just a side benefit. I know this because I am reading an English translation of the original yoga scriptures written by the sage Patanjali.

Belasko
10-07-2011, 07:10 PM
If you want to open up your chakras, waken your kundalini, attain Samadhi, then yes, meditation is central. But there's even more: meditation is a central part of yoga, because it is the journey of finding the self, and the divinity within one self. All of the original 24 postures are actually stances for meditation, and physical benefit is really just a side benefit. I know this because I am reading an English translation of the original yoga scriptures written by the sage Patanjali.

Oh Man another fickomg sheep and new ager.

Keurigura Tharman
10-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Hah, another arrogant westerner.