PDA

View Full Version : Wizard staffs

Topher
02-24-2009, 01:55 AM
The ice storm brought down plenty of tree limbs around here and apparently knocked down some trees as well. It got me thinking about getting a good sized branch from one of these fallen trees to make a wizards staff. From what I've heard, the process is difficult and requires alot of personal energy. The new moon is coming up so my energy should be strong till the full moon.
If anyone has a process, suggestions or you've done this before, all tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

isis
02-24-2009, 02:52 AM
this site is good Hiking Staff - Make Your Own (http://www.earth01.com/equipment/hikingStaff.htm) and How to make a Fire Staff / Fire Staves (http://www.luxotica.com/education/howtomake/staff.php) this is all i could find but it is close i thank, but if i find anything ealse i will let you know.

chronazon
02-24-2009, 05:58 AM
I made a staff a few years ago when I was all off on geomancy and the golden triangle executioner, so I made it out of bamboo, a y shaped forked piece of oak, and some other things such as lithium quartz, jade beads, and other things. the purpose is nature power and not only can be used for dowsing, but harnassing spirits, and anything else depending on the material.
its a good thing to do but people always ask wtf is that because it looks weird just having it in the house, I can't tell them what it is either.
a loop of willow is good for harnassing spirits (at night) and everything else totaly depends on the material, and desired effect.
cheers

chronazon
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM
i have oakes family and feel a deep connection to this tree. it has properties of nature receptivity and is very madicinal as well. William S. Burroughs looked like my great Grandfather Oakes, and there is a strong connection here to alder druids and the Name Aldrich is the biggest chemical company in the world, and where the word alchemy came from, this ancient religion. One of the last things Burroughs did was go target shooting with his Aldrich Friend.
I knew an aldrich from Presbeterian church
(totally exclusivly nonfundamentalist)
and in fact we got to light candles at church together.

iN fact, the conservative godfather, William buckley was it, had a series of novels with the main character named Blackford Oakes, who was some kind of spook I gather, never read any of his stuff, but I only came across this knowledge after a yearlong subscription to newsweek that had cover stories like that one about Buckley, "Obama, race and us", and "the politics of the new south". I show no mercy in reporting that the klan's purpose was to fool and decieve the public, and they damn let it shine didn't they.
maybe they wanted mccain to lose, yeah right.

anyway I think Oakes was the name of Crowley, ramacharaka, gewurz, case, all the masons anyway, and the hindu religion, and the native and african american send it back to africa to connect to home in with the native's old late 1800's early 1900's made dmt was made in minnesota, and all the masonic authors were ballers. That may have created antimasonry, complete with gog and magog (eye and eye's master) style retard crap that profaned not only the elesinuan and now bacchic mysteries over other matters, but the squares are out there. and they think they are on to something, and the people that don't have it scratch to the end of the earth to get it ,and THERE WERE OTHER CHEMISTS. Aldrich was the supply for all of the sixties, so yes you are still connected to the family. Its ok. there is nothing wrong. klansdestine work exists and this runs against the elements, something that aldrich chem company should keep in mind when making and selling chemical precursors, usually do, and the illegal (thats why) and subversieve klansdestine wackjobs are WHY IT IS ILLEGAL.
if you're making amphetamine and elemental amplifier for example, make a nice big geometric complex of amphetamine for example, don't just f..k around.
thank you for your everything

Ormic
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Personal energy? Yes anything you make needs personal energy, but its very easy to give it to the item. It does not matter what you use I think. You could use a dowel from a store if you had to, just give it more attention to make it yours. An example is to sand it and do it slowly, thinking about it being yours and what it is going to help you do. Maybe carve some nicks into it or round the top. Make it look different then it was.

You have found a nice piece on your own though, from a natural tree and it was brought down by a storm. That is much better than getting a dowel at Homedepot (I only mentioned it to help people who can't find a nice branch on their own, like you did). Simply by finding it you have made it yours, but you can still empower it by sanding it and carving markings into it. If you want to leave it natural that’s good too, it can be done but it needs a little more concentration. You have to meditate on the staff (preferably having it with you, across your lap or next to you) and focus on what you want it to do. Do this just for maybe 10 minutes every day for a week, or whatever you think is best. You can do this for one if you carve it as well.
Anything can be carved into it. Homemade sigils that were created to communicate what you want to accomplish are the best. Runes from alphabets that spell your name; Runes that spell words of power (which can be simply a word like "CONTROL" or "FIRE"); Runes that spell out Holy words (YHVH); Anything can be used in that sense, and by carving it you energize it into the wood, making your intent clear.
To carve you could use a Dremel tool (I use mine sometimes, but its electrically powered so it might act wonky around magic); Hand carving tools (Said to be the best, but I have not used this method yet); or a wood burner (my favorite method).
The Dremel tool can be picked up at homedepot but it can be pricey (maybe 50$ or more). You can get all sorts of heads for it though which make it very versatile. It uses spinning blades to carve out the wood and it’s much faster than hand carving it. I normally use mine to strip the bark off a piece with a large sander head attached, making the job much quicker.
The hand carving tools are things like blades or razors. I guess you could use any blade but they sell packs of 'Wood carving tools' with a few different kinds of blades and other things.
The wood burner can be got somewhere (I forgot where I bought mine :P) and is used to burn something into the wood. Some come with tons of different heads to achieve different patterns. I like this method because I think it’s the most powerfully done because its using pure heat and energy to engrave your intent into the wood. Also it looks really cool.

Well I hope I helped some, any questions I will try to answer but I have only been making staffs for 2 years or so :) if someone has been making them longer, value their advice over mine.

Topher
02-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Thank you for all the advice.
By personal energy I meant a bit more than say brushing your teeth but more of giving a piece of yourself to a personal work of art. Is there any ritual in say cleansing the wood?
Thank you Lady Dunsany for reminding us to ask permission of the tree first before cutting or using a piece of it. If we all did that then maybe the world would be a bit better.
I haven't found the right branch yet but there are several candidates, one was actually suggested by a squirrel. I was walking around, not quite content with what I had yet seen, so I asked plainly "Which way should I go". Something then fell from a tree beside me and a noise caused me to look up to a branch. Sitting there munching on something was a squirrel. I made polite and greeted it which got a chatter in reply. I thought what the hay, so I asked "do you know where I can find a good branch for a staff?". It chattered back. So I pointed to my left, "This way?". No response. Pointed to my right and straight ahead, nothing. I then pointed back to the direction I came from and it started chattering again. I said my thanks and started walking back the direction I came and saw a bunch of squirrels all jumping around a big pile of branches I didn't even notice earlier. So the ones looking like they would make good staffs I "squirreled" away for the weekend. If they're still there I'll get final permission, if not then the squirrels took 'em.

Murmur
02-25-2009, 12:44 AM
My staff is made out of the root of an ancient weeping willow from my backyard. It had overturned in a storm (which made me cry for several days and I still don't know why) and I asked it for its roots. It was a very large tree and had very large roots.

It is miraculously tough yet smooth and extremely powerful in healing. Just touching it to my head can cure the worst of headaches.

Anyway, the point is, you should carefully choose the type of wood. Different kinds of trees mean different things to different people, so you should think about which tree you have the strongest connection with.

Ormic
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I did forget to mention that the wood matters to some people, but like I said if you have no good trees a dowel would work. Found branches have much more power through, a lot more. Woods I tend to favor are Oak (makes me feel manly, and makes great walking sticks) and Ash (because I have always liked Ash wood). As for rituals for cleansing the wood, I have always just done a normal consecration ritual, if I do one at all, (which can be really simple) and it works well. I think a natural tree branch is already partially cleansed though :)

Starhead_Broderick
03-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't that be like asking a man for his toenail clippings?

Harlock
03-02-2009, 01:34 AM
oak, maple, ash, tends to be for earth elementaled people, metal, and a few types of wood is used for fire (i dont know which) water tends to be more like bamboo and stuff

winds willow i believe

ill have to double check on this but i know earth and fire is right, and so is water

idnami
06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I mounted a calcite sphere to a staff for a friend once. I shaved down the top 3 inches of the staff to be narrower than the rest and wrapped copper wire around the ridge. over this I set a stack of steel carriage rings and threaded the wire through them to weave a cage around the calcite ball. It looked really nice when it was done and a huge amount of energy went into it.
Unfortunately the effort was wasted as this person then treated the staff as roughly as possible and broke the wire cage. So I do have to say that the above technique should be used on a staff that will be used only for ceremonial purposes and not as a bludgeon or something!
The karmic consequences of the linking of energies in creating the staff and then the violent destruction of those energies were obviously less than desirable, something to keep in mind if planning to share the work with another. There were underlying resentments between this person and I which manifested in the destruction of what had been crafted. I suppose the moral of this story is, Know Thyself (and Thy Associates!)
I am going to make a Rowan staff when I prune the tree outside my window. One of these days.

VIRAL
06-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Cedar is a nice wood for magical staffs, oak and pine are good for combat staffs. If you can find oak, it is also a very magical wood. The druids worshipped trees and their most sacred tree was oak.

VIRAL
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Learn to weild the staff as a weapon and it's energies will be opened up for that. I get the cutting energies off anything with a sharp blade and can weild them as a weapon, but I don't always have the self control not to. I often pick up the energies of sharp things and throw them at people by accident. Personally, magic is the best weapon on the astral and inthe dream realms. I once had a friend who was attacked by a sword weilding RPG geek in the dream world. He used lightning bolts like Emperor Palpatin and would have killed the guy if he didn't wake up.

Ninlil
06-15-2009, 03:02 AM
I had my staff tool made for me, for some people this isn't what they want but for me it was great. I needed it to give me access to something not innately "of me" so it might be a good route to go in if you have a certain energy type or need that you would want a tool for. I have several tools that do this.

My staff is flame-charred (char does not come off because it was done right), bound in oxidized copper and set at the top with a really nice black pyrite globe. It was a birthday gift to me, and made to my specifications. The best thing about it is the pyrite is free-floating in its copper housing, so it actually is not fixed, or glued, or soldered. It can rotate without damaging anything.

Based on my experience I got a lot of earth and fire out of this particular tool, and it compliments work I do of that sort. It is a very grounding tool with a lot of energy flow.

I have a good staff, and I was lucky enough to have a good energysmith(?) to work with and I am very happy with the results. If you have a staff made for you all you have to do is attune it to you once it's done and it should work great with your energy. It worked out great for me. If you want to know more let me know.

aroguespirit
07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
The ice storm brought down plenty of tree limbs around here and apparently knocked down some trees as well. It got me thinking about getting a good sized branch from one of these fallen trees to make a wizards staff. From what I've heard, the process is difficult and requires alot of personal energy. The new moon is coming up so my energy should be strong till the full moon.
If anyone has a process, suggestions or you've done this before, all tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing I have to say is I like that you are using wood that will just be pushed aside or burned.

1. Widdle your stick
2. Do whatever you normally do with personal tools

I can't think of anything else. I have never thought of making a staff but I would assume it is similar to making your wand.

~ARS

GrandWizard
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
hello my name is the Grand Wizard in which their are many in will be many more.i come to the forum seeking enlightenment in which the studies i have chosen to learn.

ZeldaFitz
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
This is not an introduction thread, so please do an introduction in introductions.

TemporalAbberation
03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Name Aldrich is the biggest chemical company in the world, and where the word alchemy came from, this ancient religion.

No, no it's not. The word alchemy stems from either the Arabic phrase al-kimiya or possibly Egypt's ancient name of Khemia, though it's more likely the former and that Egypt's ancient name and reputation for mystic and magical practices.

Its ok. there is nothing wrong. klansdestine work exists and this runs against the elements, something that aldrich chem company should keep in mind when making and selling chemical precursors, usually do, and the illegal (thats why) and subversieve klansdestine wackjobs are WHY IT IS ILLEGAL.

Yes, every clandestine chemist is a total whack-job, and not a single one of them is interested in the proper, or even recreational, use of psychotropics. How many clandestine chemists have you known? Apart from meth cooks, most I've met are highly intelligent and personable, if eccentric. This is counting apart from the fact that almost no one in the trade of anything worthwhile(ie: entheogenic tryptamines and phenethylamines) buys any sort of chemicals that can be traced. The primary reagent to most of them can be found in the stuff you season your food with, all it takes is a little innovative research and maybe some fractional distillation. Quit spreading disinformation.

As it is, I'm certain your entire post was a ramble, those two just hit me as really wrong, and since it's all I could make sense of...

Sorry folks, disinformation is certainly worse than knowing the truth though. Back on topic:

As for the staff itself, I would just use whatever correspondences you're comfortable with for the purpose you intend it, and a ceremony you're familiar with or come up with. I can't see it being much more difficult than any other kind of tool. I prefer to stay away from power tools for marking my tools, but it can take a good deal of practice to etch or carve and paint metal or wood.

Personally, I find oak to be very good for just directing the Will, the only wooden piece I work with is an oak wand. Then I again I use it rather infrequently, I'm more fond of spears for a long tool, swords for a shorter, and knives for even shorter. They all have usefulness of course, but I'm a weapons kind of guy.

Kilotonhex
08-14-2011, 11:55 PM
storms and acts of raw nature are great ways to find a speciment for a staff. another thing to clue in on is that witch is out of place. like trees or plants that do not belong in the area. or also solitary speciments like the lone tree in a feild or similar geographic location. for those that lack access to said location one of the best places to get a staff is your used item stores thrift stores or antique stores. a good old cain can do wonders for somebody becuase it has age to it. and at these places the item will usualy find its new owner not the other way around. If all else fails home depo or some online vendor of staffs. I wouldn't do this unless all other options are out. mainly becuase i think there is a lack of connection to the staff if its just bought from some random stick vendor or "occultic" vendor.

The biggest thing about aquireing a staff is asking permission from the area ask the trees ground and what ever elemental spiritrual entity is around. if taking from a living plant. it is advisable to go through a seperation ritural to take the limb from a tree. ether ceromonialy tying off the branch with natural burlap cotton cord, or copper wire.

after this there are numerous technics to finish of said staff many were mentioned above. It depends on what the end use of the staff will be.

My own staff was of interesting beginings I found it while i was living in the azores islands on my golden year of 2007 this was the year of the date 27/7/2007 near my 27th birthday. Around this time i found on our island a Grove of diamond willow trees. after many ritural exercises and such i finaly procured a 6 ft tall twisted willow staff with many diamonds in it a day later i found a silver quarter which was hammerd out and mounted into one of the eyes this staff was hand sanded and wax sealed with cerimonyal candals each melted down and driped onto the wood then hand rubbed into it. many hours were involved. including my own blood sweat and tears this was a give take relationship in making this staff. i still have scars today from it and im shure there is some of my blood in that wood. A year later when i was able to make it to england i found a odin stone. (stone with natural hole in it) and tied it off to the staff. thus compleating it. This staff found me and since then has gotten many complemtens by those that have seen it or sensed its power.

AlchemicEnchanter
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Believe it or not, for my staff I simply wrote my story on it. I wrote all my dealings with the occult, studies, and so forth. Then I moved onto the specifics, like hiding techniques within the staff, and detailing personal star signs, elements, deities, animals, ect.

My recommendation: add so much personality to it that it feels like an extension of yourself. Trust me, you'll know when you get there.

Requiem Obscurus
11-09-2011, 03:48 PM
The big thing that my old mentor, rest her soul, always believe heavily in and enforced on myself and some others was that whatever focus you lean towards, staves included, should practically 'speak' to you.

Never rush into such a creation, this object is going to mean a lot to you! Research doesn't hurt, making sure that what you attach to is a good idea, but in the end it's what connects!

Also, she was a bit edgy about using materials that resulted in something powerful and destructive, such as the fallen trees/branches from this latest storm. But, if done properly, that force can prove quite helpful.

My favorite lesson has always been that being cautious is better than rushing in. I learned that the hard way! Make sure that you will be happy with this creation, and that it's an augment in your control, not a possible burden that will some day kick you in the ass.

Jackal
11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I made a wand for a friend out of a hangmans tree...Filled with death energy of course...I felt bad about it, and it made me ill, so I was glad to get rid of it, they didn't want it in the end..

AlchemicEnchanter
11-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Jackal: I had nearly the same experience with a wand I made for a friend out of a buck's Femur. It was exploding with death energy, and maggots were everywhere. Once I finally got it under control, I gave him the wand. Little did I know he only ended up using it for a cosplay costume, at which point I face-palmed in the fact that I actually went to all the trouble of carving that bone. xD He did keep it though.

Jackal
11-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I love that Haha
I hate energy work, I also think I'm more receptive in nature. So I just chucked into a nearby tree to ground the energy. Thing was I didn't want to remove the energy (If I could, bear in mind the amount of fear energy thats around, knowing its the gallows for you a couple of hundred times, I'm hardly an Adept in any field, let alone energy work which I hate) cause they wanted it for necromancy!

Jackal
11-12-2011, 01:24 AM
The tree I took the wand from? It was already dead. I never take wands from living tree's.
Or did you mean the tree i put it near?

Darius
11-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Good that you got rid of it, Jackal. The uneasiness you felt (other than the natural fear of death that people naturally have) is a sign that you are not ready for necromancy. This is not a bad thing by any means. It's very likely that you're better suited for another area. Very likely Egyptian magick, from what you have said before. As for asking permission, that played into it as well. Emma is right, even if the tree is dead does not mean you don't have to ask. Also, the tree you left it by should have been asked. After all, you are introducing a foreign object to it. Please be careful, Jackal. While you have come far in the time I have been privileged to know you, You still have more to learn. Of Course, so do I and anyone else. "If you stop learning, you start dying." It may seem a little cheesy of a quote, be it has been true in my own life.

Jackal
11-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah I get ya Darius.
It wasn't just uneasy, It made arguments and illness too. Ah okay, I'll bear that in mind and will sprinkle a little juice onto the tree as an offering of thanks? I didn't break it of, it was on the floor in the perfect shape, Heck it even looked just like a Bone when I had finished carving it...To be honest I was disappointed, best wand I've made lol. I know I'm not ready for necromancy, although I want to practice it when I'm older, that and evocation are what got me into the occult. Rofl two things a beginner should avoid XD

I'm going to make my staff soon...Gonna try and make it into a Was sceptere...

Darius
11-12-2011, 05:38 PM
You should see my staff one day, I used Ash wood with a spiral grove carved into it. In the grove, I put copper wire and sealed it with iron and grave dust. Along the length are carved the 24 futhark runes I use, as well as a 25th spot left blank to represent "wyrd" or destiny. At the top, I attached a quartz crystal I had recieved years ago from a friend and used as a focus and scrying tool. I wish I had a good picture of it to show you. I don't really need it much these days, but I still keep it because of the amount of effort I had put into it. Of course, Staves (singular Staff) are more a symbol of travel that a symbol of authority, like a wand. At least from how I was trained.

Adarame
11-13-2011, 02:11 AM
if the object is inanimate to one's eyes, it doesn't mean that it does not have consciousness. i do not own a stave at the moment but i have a feeling that Gaia will provide soon.

Jackal
11-13-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm gonna make one soon Darius, I'm gonna go to Watkins bookshop soon, meant to be one of the worlds biggest occult stores...ddamn I'm gonna be skint after this